Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

101 - 120 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
It's been over a year :crazy:

I have had one for the Golf sitting in the box for a year too. Due to the hatch, I can't mount them like a sedan and onceI put something off to the side, it tends to stay there a while.
No point rushing into things Paul.

Who is the kid in the red American Eagle shirt in the picture about. Guessing its Xyro or Sipes.

·
Registered
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
That would be Ethan (Turbo2000). He made the trip down for a CCT replacement and stuck around for the GTG.

I did get the new front brake pads in. So far, they seem great. Braking seems equal to the PBR Ultimates and they are nice and quiet. The Ultimates were quiet for almost a year, they probably needed reseating as I don't use them much. Should be low dust, but I would have to clean the wheels 1st to notice (and that is not on my things to due list this week before my drive to Austin).

·
Registered
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
You STILL haven't gotten the phatbox in yet?
Put the other Phatbox in the Golf this weekend. Still need to do mine.

I also swapped my suspension twice while I changed my control arms. It's now sitting on the A6 H+R Race (again) but is higher. 26.25F and 26.5R Not sure if I can stand it that high. I will give it a few days and decide. I might go back to the super stiff rear springs and 1BE fronts on a lower perch.

The handling is still good and the ride is slightly better, but the handling on the other setup was incredible. It stayed flat even with the car loaded.

·
Registered
28 Posts
PZ when and were is the next GTG. DFW is a three hour hike but i would love to try to show for one. I dont see to much activity up around OKC.

·
Registered
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
HIDs are in and working. Still have to find a permanent mount for the ballast and I need covers for the back of the headlings. I will probably make some.

I fixed my leaking PS hose for $20!. I have pics once I figure out how to download them from the camera. The part from the dealer would be $195.

I am also back on the 1BE springs F/R. I swapped suspension 3 times last month and settled on the 1BE (for now). It should be a blast on my trip to Glacier next month. The car handles better loaded with this suspension than the H+R Race did with the car empty.

Next up is the center console and visor. Then the Phatbox.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
You can't just stick the ballast somewhere in the engine bay? I think thats what Sipes did, he had some kind of super sticky double sided tape.

·
Registered
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
You can't just stick the ballast somewhere in the engine bay? I think thats what Sipes did, he had some kind of super sticky double sided tape.
I would prefer them bolted down. I did not feel like drilling at the time, but I will pull the bumper cover off and find a spot after my trip.

·
Registered
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Repaired the Right side HID. The reflector was faded, so the light output was worse than stock. I ended up using an A6 projector (D1S) that I picked up from the junkyard for $20 (with ballast and bulb!). Now it is even brighter than the stock Hella HID. PITA to install as it was not a bolt in (McGyver would be proud). Of course, I found all this out when the left side HID became unplugged after some nasty washboard dirt roads during my last trip. Fried the bulb and I could not see enough on the highway to continue driving once it got dark. Had to follow a truck into Santa Rosa NM.

The center console upgrade is in too. Just in time for the trip to Snorkfest. That leaves the sliding visor (maybe tomorrow) and the Phatbox. I am having problems with the Phatbox and Windows Vista. No voice prompts, so no music downloaded.

·
Registered
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
where did you get the red anti sway bar i want one for my passat but i cant find one
It's an upper strut bar. There are several styles available, but mine was custom made many years ago by a former member "Femi".

·
Registered
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Been a while since I have updated this:

I now plan on keeping the car for a few more years. Got a few upgrades.

Added an A8/TT front brake upgrade. It really fills the wheel. Got an 16" steelie spare, it also clears the BBK. :)

I am back on the A6Q H+R Race springs with a few minor adjustments. Got the Koni coil-over sleeves up front to adjust the height and made a slight adjustment to the rears too. Sitting about 26" fender height now.

I am picking up a set of B5.5 Tails this week and will send them off for tinting soon.

Tried an S4 front sway bar, but I found it to be the same as the wagon front bar (29mm and hollow vs the 27mm hollow FWD bar). I was hoping it was either 32mm and hollow or 29mm and solid like the 1BE bar is. It is now on Xyro's car.

Sold the sliding visor. I might look into the Jetta/B5 Passat dual visor instead.

Still do not have the Phatbox up and running :(

·
Registered
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Time for a 2 year update. Not much has changed. Still do not have the Phatbox up and running, have the tinted tails sitting in the garage :(

I do have 2 new pics taken at yesterday's GTG, My wife's 05 Golf and my car:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi! Thanks for the great work on my coils and other suspension goodies. I'm still trying to track down the vag-com instructions for the steering wheel. Talk to you soon.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Is Grapevine anywhere near 144? My mother-in-law just said that we actually went through it just before we had a blow out on 144. :rolleyes:
Landed at DFW in Dallas around 2:50p yesterday, and then headed north to Paoli, OK.

·
Registered
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Yeah, the passenger terminals at DFW are in the city of Grapevine and 114 is the highway that crosses the North side of the airport.

You are by my house and I will be near yours on Saturday!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yeah I know! lol I was thinking the same thing too. Sunday afternoon I'll be going back to DFW, but too late to head over to Jay's. I should be there for next years Snorkfest hopefully depending on where the USCG sends us next year! lol

·
Registered
26,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Some pics of the upper strut bar as the old links are dead:

101 - 120 of 128 Posts