Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Update 7/25/05: Just agreed to buy a 2001 (B5) 4MO GLS Wagon.
It also has 1BE springs, height adjustable (custom notches) Koni shocks and a 1BE rear sway bar (available for 4MO only). Overall drop is about 1.25" for now.

Update 8/9/06: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got the A6Q H+R Race springs on yesterday (finally). Fender height is 25.5"F and 26.25R. (stock is 27-27.25"). I am sure they will settle .25" or more. I will probably raise the front a notch to balance the height. I could drop the back (I have 1 more notch), but as much as I love the look, I need the ground clearance. The ride is much better than I expected, not really much firmer than the 1BE.

So far the car is much more balanced than the 1BE or stock setup. The car slides perfectly thru a corner without the excess sway from the rear. Turn in is great. The 6 point front strut bar really helped too. I probably will not have to use the Koni coilover sleeves as the front will be raised 1/2" and I should have a perfect (for me) 1/4" rake. No updated pics, but it will not look much different heightwise. It is much more fun to drive.

Update 5/30/08:
Car is back on 1BE, but the rears are cut 1 coil to increase the stiffness. The height is at 26.0F/26.25R, so the look is the same as the pics or the original 1BE setup below. Handling is better as the rear rate has increased another 100lbs/in. Ride is a bit firmer, but still good and compliant over potholes.

Update 3/16/09:
Car is back (to stay) on the A6Q H+R Race with coilover sleeves up front. Drop is still the same at 1" F/R. I also added an A8/TT front brake upgrade. I installed a B5.5 console last year. I will be picking up B5.5 tails this week and will send them off for a "light" tint.

Email me if you want to be included on the DFW GTG mailing list. I am a former mechanic and will work on cars for mod money. Suspensions,brakes,timing belts and more.

Here are the pics with the 1" drop:
Colorful house and my wife's Golf in the background:

Yes,I even cleaned the car for this.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Yeah - Glad the car is okay!

How is everything running now after the Timing Belt change?

Oh and July 20 2004? First profile after 3 years :poke: :wink:

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far everything is good except the CEL I have had since July. Maybe the Combi valve is next.

It took 2 years of lurking just to sign up,so 3 years for a profile seems about right.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good to meet ya

Hey PZ, It's Mike I met you brefly on the road yesterday. I was in the white wolfsburg jetta over in Irving. Like to touch basis on doing a possible drop on my car (the Jetta). Hit me up sometime!

Mike

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Good to meet ya

leachis said:
Hey PZ, It's Mike I met you brefly on the road yesterday. I was in the white wolfsburg jetta over in Irving. Like to touch basis on doing a possible drop on my car (the Jetta). Hit me up sometime!

Mike
PM sent. That Jetta looked sharp,but I would never drive a white car. As you could tell by my filthy car yesterday.

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
:cry:

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well,rolled the Passat on it's roof today. Car spun in a corner,slid into a ditch and flipped. Probably totaled,will know in a few days. No injuries! My wife and I were hanging upside down by our seatbelts.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Damn PZ! What a bad experience. Sorry for the loss! Hopefully you don't have to leave CB5.
:(

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
PZ said:
Well,rolled the Passat on it's roof today. Car spun in a corner,slid into a ditch and flipped. Probably totaled,will know in a few days. No injuries! My wife and I were hanging upside down by our seatbelts.
Glad to hear that you are ok, so where does this leave the GTG on the 9th?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I dunno what to say, thats awful news. I hope you get a decent amount for the car (if it's totaled). If you are parting it out. I'll take one of the 2.7t wheels as a spare.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I wonder what the insurance company will say, a 2000 passat with ? miles. they were close to private party on our van

but our van couldnt be anywhere near replaced for that.

my guess is around 8k

they dont go by clubB5 valuations

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
67K and was running great. Insurance rep told my wife it was totaled,but I have not had the chance to talk to them. Not sure if I will get 8K from the insurance,sure I won't get enough to replace it. With 2 kids in college in the fall,I will probably wait 2 years until the oldest graduates. Will have to save until then,with my wifes new Golf,I can't afford 2 car payments.

I will still be on CB5 and will still work on Passats,got to save for the B6!

·
Registered
26,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep,the engine was clean inside. They actually gave me market value for the car :)

Car is being sold at auction by the insurance company Saturday April 2nd. They said they would not know what salvage yard it would go to. Wish I knew,it still has the Eibachs and Konis. Don't think I could do an engine swap into the Golf.

·
Registered
300 Posts
there are 2 auction places on jacksboro hwy in fort worth, but they do dealler read y cars

however, just around the corner from me a mile or two from hicks field there is a new large salvage auction yard, at hwy 287 and blue mound road

i wonder if you have to be licsened to buy?

1 - 20 of 128 Posts