Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001.5, 1.8T, AWM,replacing/repairing PCV system, starting from metal lined elbow,it joins to a rubber Tee, top part of Tee holds the PCV check valve, from that it heads up to the suction pump hose assembly, between the PCV check valve and the suction pump assembly there is another (little)check valve , WHY? what is its purpose or is is a redundant set up ?

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Hey Chief,
I'm not very knowledgeable with all things 1.8, but I thought that check valve has something to with preventing misfires and fuel trims.
So if the check valve were bad, it would cause misfires and incorrect fuel trim adjustments.
Hopefully someone 1.8 savvy can chime in and either confirm or completely debunk me.

·
Registered
28,336 Posts
It's redundant. I deleted the SJP (it leaked) and ran the PCV right to the intake.

·
Registered
6,656 Posts
Hey Chief,
I'm not very knowledgeable with all things 1.8, but I thought that check valve has something to with preventing misfires and fuel trims.
So if the check valve were bad, it would cause misfires and incorrect fuel trim adjustments.
Hopefully someone 1.8 savvy can chime in and either confirm or completely debunk me.
It's redundant. I deleted the SJP (it leaked) and ran the PCV right to the intake.

So, I have to ask, is what I posted accurate?

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AP , EVERYTHING on a Passat throws a code.....lol....not sure what would happen,both valves were pretty good, but as stated they are "redundant" so they must be important, like a reserve parachute,ha, As clogged up as stuff was,(down hard tube from V.C. was literally packed solid,could not even blow through it with air hose, only have had few codes......misfires,etc. BUT now that everything is cleaned up/new/repaired will be surprised if car does not shoot off some codes when I fire it up after a two month hiatus, seriously, car has been a champ, will post on "what did you do to your Passat" when done with this major,keep up with the PCV check valve so going to "delete" small one upon re assembly, actually going to look into getting full insurance coverage now, not just liability......

·
Registered
28,336 Posts
So, I have to ask, is what I posted accurate?
The check valves on the 1.8T PCV are to prevent boost flowing back through the hoses. Since the PCV valve is already a check valve, there is no need for another one unless you have the later style PCV with the port on the side (late AWM running change). My PCV runs straight to the intake manifold now, no SJP or check valves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts