Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2014 NMS, 1.8T, 133,000 miles. My heater core went bad, which I can accept. I even realize that with the recall VW had on this issue, I'm past the mileage, so I have no problem paying for a new one out-pf pocket. However, what's VERY puzzling and frustrating is that my dealership has replaced 2 heater cores in the past month and the same problem (no heat on the passenger side) recurs within minutes of their "test drive" after installation. They keep flushing my cooling system and it's now so clean that it's probably crystal clear, but the best thay have been able to do is get very nominal heat on that side while the driver's side gets as hot as Calcutta. The service advisor says this is one of the worst cases of this issue he's ever seen. This makes no sense to me. I asked him: Is there some aftermarket brand of heater core that will fit this generation of Passat that won't have these problems? He says no, but has anyone else had to deal with this?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If the new heater cores have flow before installation, they are not the problem. You can confirm this if both inlet and outlet hoses are HOT when the engine is at normal running temp.
Could be air in the system, but this should give you weird indications on engine running temp.
Otherwise, possibly a problem with the heater blend door .

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He swears it's not the blend door. I did buy the car at 82,000 miles and noticed weak heat on the right as far back as the low 100K mark, but didn't think much of it until this winter, 33K miles later ,as my right side now doesn't completely defrost if it's really cold outside. What I have to wonder is if either A) I have so many air pockets from waiting too long to replace the core that it'll never be normal again, or B) the "revised" Passat heater cores still suck. ?????

1 - 3 of 3 Posts