Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm about set to spend far more money than I'm comfortable with on a new set of 17" wheels and tires for my B5 sedan. My stock tires are almost worn flat, and one of the tires has a slow leak, so it's time to upgrade to wider, thinner tires and get rid of that annoying ass-jiggle that my car has.

Problem is, I can't decide on the wheels. I want something that maintains the solid, slightly-muscular look that the car has (no rice-rocket wheels or chrome dubs here), but without suggesting that it's a rally-racer or that it stole its wheels from a Mustang. Five-spoke wheels are always a good, neutral choice it seems, but the only wheels I can seem to find are either SUV wheels or spindly little things that look like they could snap when I hit the first good pothole of the spring.

What wheels are other people running? Pics are helpful. This is what I'm considering, and purely by coincidence TireRack happens to have a pic of them installed on a B5.5:

I'm also considering these, but I'm afraid they'll make the car look too racy; unfortunately, I don't have any actual photos of this wheel on a real Passat -- only the cheap auto-generated sample that TireRack shows when you're shopping.

Comments? Suggestions?

·
Registered
673 Posts
i like the top ones alot! i think its a good alternative to the bling bling shit found on alot of cars, its sporty but maintains an OEM+ look, im a fan

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure, BK. I wouldn't mind a set of Phaeton wheels either. Do you know where I can find a set in mint condition for $800 or less, tires not included?

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i like the top ones alot! i think its a good alternative to the bling bling shit found on alot of cars, its sporty but maintains an OEM+ look, im a fan
If I could just see them on a stubby instead of a B5.5, I'd be sold.

Question, to anyone who knows: Is it actually possible to fit 225's on a 7.5"-wide wheel? 225mm is somewhere around nine inches -- I wouldn't want to have 3/4" of tire hanging off each side of the wheel.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,285 Posts
225/45/17 on 17x8 for me. Rich, are your's 7.5"?

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
See now, here's what I need to understand. What points on the rim are used to measure the rim's width? I figured it would be the outer edges of the lip, but I'm starting to suspect the measurement is done from the inner edges of the lip instead. That could add as much as an inch to the wheel's "real" width, as compared to what I expect to see.

·
Registered
221 Posts
rear shot, 17x8 35mm offset on Eibach pro kit springs.... 1.25" lowered or so

frontal shot

side shot

it goes from the inner lip to the mating surface of the wheel to the car I believe... I forget.
you guys are lowered more than I am I think.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,285 Posts
17x7.5 lil bit of stretch
Your's look more stretched than mine IMO. I have 17x8 with 225/45's
This is the best I have to show, maybe it's the tire make?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Yeah I know one guy with a B5, but I doubt I will be able to find time to do that....sorry. anyone wanna help by doing a photoshop of it?
i had someone do a quick chop of them a while ago to see what they would look like.:thumbup:

chop didnt turn out nearly as good as i think they would look in person.

my b5 with 17" Ronal R28's

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
these wheels maybe too bling bling (it wasn't meant to be- but i had a great deal from a fellow B5er- it seem to work with this car at least)

17x7.5 Voxx Saga on 215/45 Yoko Avids..(soon to change to 224/45).

·
Registered
129 Posts
you consider some monoblack style wheels? like amgs or audiA8s or borbet A? has a nice solid euro look with some lip and doesnt look like it will snap a spoke when you hit a pot hole! up front are 17x8.5 borbet As with 205 45 17 rubber. had to go super stretch due to the offset being 13

1 - 20 of 33 Posts