Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It went a lot easier than I thought it would. I went the "easy" route and left the A pillar cover alone. You can't see the wire at all, even if you're looking for it.

The look at night is really striking. I just love the soft red glow that permeates the entire cockpit now!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got the kit from evolutionsports.com. The kit came with all of the instructions. Right now their site is down for maintenance, should be back up a little later.

One thing though, if you want the rheostat with the backlit position indicator that has to be bought separately. the console was $75 and the rheostat is another $75. Otherwise you can reuse the rheostat that comes with the console you already have, it just won't have the backlit position indicator. For me it was worth the extra money.

If you do a forum search for W8 console you'll get quite a few hits with articles telling you how to do it.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,689 Posts
I put mine in last night. Took 45 minutes but that inlcudes stopping for a break to each my wife's wonderful strawberry shortcake.

Installed the hard way but found using a wire snake made it really easy. My only complaint is that the color match of the dome to my beige interior is not exact.

Double DIN is next this weekend.

Happy trails.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
My only complaint is that the color match of the dome to my beige interior is not exact.
Agreed. The color match sucks for my beige interior. Might have been better off with a grey one!

Took me 45 min to install. I removed the A pillar cover, which I thought saved time, and just pulled off anyways. Guess I'm not as quick as others. My main problem was that my arms would get tired because I was working above my head.

·
Registered
151 Posts
binaryflow said:
I ordered mine form ecstuning with there wiring harness adapter. Took maybe twenty minutes to run through the A-Pillar and down to the light switch.
I'm going to put W8 console into my 99 1.8T tomorrow, how didi u get to the switch light since ECSturning website is not clear about ihow to do it?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Isn't it awesome? I installed mine last weekend and couldn't be happier with the result. I got mine from Evolution and it only took 30 minutes. Yes, mostly tucking the wire into the headliner and A-pillar. The light switch tap/splice was a cinch. I highly recommend this mod, if anything just for the awesome ambient red glow it gives the front cockpit at night. So frickin' cool. :thumbup:

·
Registered
151 Posts
dekode said:
I used the ECS Tuning kit, was a plug & play - they even have a snap-on connector to splice the wires, took a whole 30 minutes to install - most of the time was spent tucking the wire, cuz I'm anal... :)

How does it fit ? I just put mine in today and feels like doesn't sit tight enough in, since the old one was screwed up to the roof and the W8 one only snaps in. I put in on 99 1.8T looks nice tho, but everytimr i ewant to switch or whatever this console , feel like i'm pushing it in and it's gonna fall down . ...also especially on the passenger side once u push the button to turn the white light ON it feels like i'll push whole unit in while turning the light on, doesn't fit good at all, I need to find the solution to tighten the sides of the hole you snap the unit in so i don't see the metal surrounding the hole and the pushing in like feeling while operating the console, therwise I'll get nuts over it and most likelly get back to the stock one which fits perfectly and sit just tight ( like it should) :mad:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.