Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently just purchased a 1998 passat 1.8T. I am enjoing the power and confort alot. The only thing is that when i'm jamming to some louding music and driving hard, somtimes it makes it hard to hear the engine at high revs. My question. I have a couple times taken the revs to the fuel pump cut off point. This is obviously bad. My questions is how many people have pushed the car to this point. I'm worried that i have caused damage to my car. This is not something that i do on purpose. It happens by accident. Anyone have the same experiance?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Re: Pushing Past Redline (jclutter)

If the fuel pump is being shut off, its doing its job. I am positive there is a measure of safety built in; i.e. the max engine speed is probably a good 500-1000 rpm higher than when the fuel cutoff kicks in. My TDI, for example is chipped, and now the injection cutof is at 5200, rather than 4800rpm. Of course, its hard NOT to miss the old 1.9 at those speeds. I wouldn't recommend daily runs bumping off the limiter, but it happens.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Re: Pushing Past Redline (TDIBUGMAN)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I wouldn't recommend daily runs bumping off the limiter, but it happens. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

UUUH OOOOHH, CHONGO !!!! Now he tells me !!!

·
Registered
298 Posts

No problem. I've camped on mine for a bit when I auto-x. Usually first run when I'm trying to figure out where I need to be geared, etc. I'm never looking down at the speedo/tach always, looking ahead as I should be.

Take it from a (semi) old guy. Turn your radio down! My right ear rings 24/7/365, thanks to my youthful days of kicking tunes.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts

I'm sure it'll be ok. Just don't do it too often

·
Registered
396 Posts

I recently just purchased a 1998 passat 1.8T. I have a couple times taken the revs to the fuel pump cut off point. QUOTE]

While the diesel cars may use a fuel pump cutoff, I'm quite sure the 1.8T and V6 use an electronic ignition rev limiter.

The Dr.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Re: Pushing Past Redline (Spec)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>While the diesel cars may use a fuel pump cutoff, I'm quite sure the 1.8T and V6 use an electronic ignition rev limiter. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right, and running up against that won't cause damage. Running past it could - e.g., miss a shift and go down a gear instead of up!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Re: Pushing Past Redline (Msquared)

Mine cuts off at 7K RPM on the dyno.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Stock Passat comes with rev limiter(rpm), however if you keep pushing the engine harder it can be known at the dealer once plugged to the computer. Then they will know you driving habits.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Re: Pushing Past Redline (Zoom)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Mine cuts off at 7K RPM on the dyno.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Edsel what do you mean by it cuts off. I have never encountered that and was not aware of that.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Re: Pushing Past Redline (glxpassat)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Mine cuts off at 7K RPM on the dyno.
Edsel what do you mean by it cuts off. I have never encountered that and was not aware of that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It cuts fueling for a fraction of a second, and makes a popping sound as you bounce it repeatedly. Makes a very unique popping sound.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello everyone,

Listen this...

Yesterday I did 220km/hr in my passat 01, 1.8T.
Went good but suddnely oil lamp warrning came up.
Stop warrning and service manual.
Quickly stopped, opened up bonnet and saw bright red manifold. Or whatever that think is between head and catalitic converter. HOT AND Steaming. mealting steel. I waited 10 min and swith the car on and everything is ok since. Its been 5 days and no probs.
WHAT THE .... WAS THAT???

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Holy crap. Thread resurrection...and in an irrelevant thread nonetheless.

Your oil pressure dropped to zero (or close to it). Change your oil, use a thicker oil, get an oil pressure gauge, and see if you maintain normal levels of pressure. You might have oil sludging problems associated w/ the 1.8T. It really has nothing to do with redline or anything other than you heating your oil to the point where it was it was water. The glowing manifold is normal.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,668 Posts
bobdia123 said:
Hello everyone,

Listen this...

Yesterday I did 220km/hr in my passat 01, 1.8T.
Went good but suddnely oil lamp warrning came up.
Stop warrning and service manual.
Quickly stopped, opened up bonnet and saw bright red manifold. Or whatever that think is between head and catalitic converter. HOT AND Steaming. mealting steel. I waited 10 min and swith the car on and everything is ok since. Its been 5 days and no probs.
WHAT THE .... WAS THAT???
This is my favorite post of 2005. The same post is on 9 different threads, some recent, some very old. Some related, some not even close. The only thing lacking is he didn't touch the turbo to make sure it was HOT.

Change the oil now with synthetic and don't go to 136 mph again without cooling the turbo down before shutting off. Possibly an Auto RX candidate too or whatever is available in your part of the world. Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts