Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far no major power train issues have come up.
Anyone out there list some components or things that you have had failed around 60k - or suggest any preventive service that should be done other than oil change and topping off fluids? Thanks in advance for replies.

P.S. water coming in from driver side mid frame door pillar when i go to car wash. Any experience w/ that out there? Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,464 Posts
Some of us think it's time for a timing belt + water pump + thermostat + coolant transplant, along with a transmission "pan drop."

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
my control arms, tie rods, and cv boots failed earlier than 60k. Preventative service at 60k would be:

Complete Timing belt service (belt, tensioners, water pump, throw in a snub mount when you are in there)
Coolant flush and fill (needs to be done when the water pump is removed)
Tip-trans fluid and filter change
Fuel filter change if not previously done
General tune-up if not previously done (spark plugs, oil, air engine + cabin and oil filters)
Check the brakes out (if they need to be changed, change em and bleed the brake fluid if you havent done so in the past 2 yrs.)
Power steering fluid (at 60k when I had everything done, I removed the power steering fluid poured fresh stuff in, drove it around to let it cycle, and flushed it out again. Im not sure if this needs to be done but it didnt hurt)
Check the fluid in the differential too

The water coming in from the pillar, i had the same issue when someone attempted to break into my car via slim jim + hanger tearing the rubber lining around the door frame. I took some electrical tape and sealed it up, its not a permanent fix but im going to grab some liquid electrical tape and seal it up. No water comes in with the tape so far. So, check the rubber lining on your car.

·
Registered
633 Posts
You should check your sunroof drains. There are quite a few posts about them you should clear them before electronics get fried. The Timing belt on a v6 can wait till 75,000 miles. But when it is done I would seriously consider doing cam chain adjuster gasket, seals, and cam seals. They would probably add $400-600 to the job. but if they need doing it will cost you a $1000. You could take a poll but I haven't talk to a v6er yet with over 100,000 miles who doesn't have a leak from the tensioner. If you are doing the work yourself I would say absolutely do the seals because the parts are cheap it just takes time.
My only other suggestion is to keep your eye on the breather system it is poorly designed and gets clogged. VW suggest it leads to the other oil leaks.
It is a quick and chaep fix look at the write ups. When checking out the breather system make sure to have a look at the suction pump. It was clogged on mine and definitley exacerbated leeks. good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with everything said so far. I had a water pump failure at 64,500 miles on my 2000 GLS V6. Replaced the timing belt, tensioner & roller, idler, thermostat, coolent flush at the same time. I wish I had known about the B5 forum back then. I would have had the cam seals replaced as well. Valve cover gaskets started to leak at 67,000 and I had them replaced but I still had a small leak. At this point (2 months ago) I found this forum. Diagnosed the leak as the cam tensioner seal (my mechanic verified). I replace the breather hose and the suction pump last week and the leak has stopped. I plan to run som auto-RX through and hope I can hold the leak at bay until my next timing belt.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
a little premature advise on the 60k TB job,its a V-6 and the sticker in english /german under the hood in red letters says "75,000 miles",(and my dealer)says 75,000 even though VWoA factory says 105,000 miles,so since one of my passats are off warranty,i did it @ 75,000 (indi.mech)its up to you if your paranoid or under factory warranty or whatever ,but 60,000 is early

1 - 7 of 7 Posts