Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Pushed My B5.5 To Hard. First repair as a car owner

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Waggn_vdub 
#1 ·
So as you guys mightve guessed me wanted to race every single thing i see as a first car owner. i pushed my car way to much one day, and i believe both of the hydraulic engine mounts have gone bad. please see pictures provided. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet i think i mightve shifted wrong and the torque of the engine popped both the engine mounts to where i can feel the terrible vibrations of my engine with every push of the throttle. ive done researched and found that it wont be super expensive to replace but i wanna know from other b5.5 owners if they have had this problem aswell.

#6 ·
good ol' purple mount fluid!

go purchase the 034 motorsports street density line mounts. they're actually made by the same manufacturer, just don't have a bubble o' goo in the middle of them. lifetime is significantly longer.

minor increase of vibration. not that bad.

#8 ·
I peronally have the 034 street density motor mounts and love them. They do add some vibration over stock but very minimal and tolerable. I am also considering getting their street density transmission mounts. If you have a 1.8t the only "special" tool you will need to make the job easier is a stubby 13mm wrench, preferably a ratcheting stubby wrench

#9 ·
034 Motorsport Street Density mounts on engine and trans here. Love 'em. Really puts the power back into the drivetrain.
Got them from FCP Euro. Lifetime baby.
And a urethane snub mount.

#10 ·
Agreed they are gone. Driving it hard didn't help them and most likely added to their demise along with the age.. I suggest you look into replacing those along with the trans and snub mount. You obviously have some oil leakage going on. Check your PCV system and replace if the hoses are clogged/ brittle. Along with the vacuum hoses, check valve coves for leaks etc.........

I wouldn't race it or you will have it costing you a ton of $$$$$$ Being your 1st car I would start doing a lot of research on things that need attention and getting that done.

Welcome and good luck

#12 ·
Haha thanks for the advice guys, but your totally right. I shouldn't but me being a teenager with their first car it's not surprising that Im pushing the car beyond its normal limits. But these new mounts the 034 I believe. Would the replacing them be the same to a stock mount? Also an update. It's gotten to the point where theyre completly shot to the point of hearing the engine hit the mount with every push of the gas

#17 · (Edited)
If you daily drive the car get street density. Track density may give you some nasty vibrations. If you only plan to track once or every so often street density will be fine. Just use street density motor and tranny mounts and a polyurethane snub mount and that will be more then sufficient
I'm currently using the street density mounts and the ecs tuning brand poly snub mount and drivetrain slop is very minimal. I tend to drive hard and the street density mounts have held up well. There are more vibrations then stock but it's not that bad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.