Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my second L40316 today at Advance Auto Parts and it does not have the same printing on it that my first one had. It has the plain white coat that the rest of the filters have. There is no mention of the Mann name. The box is different too. It's plainer like the filter is now. Does anyone know if they've changed suppliers or specs?

I really don't want to have to find another source for filters. I like their location and one guy just taught me how to get them to STOCK the L40316! You just go in and ask for it and when they report that it is a special order item, you say no sale. Then have the guy write that up as a lost sale and corporate will take notice. This guy told me that three lost sales in a certain amount of time gets the item back on their shelves, so take two friends and have them do it too, or just go three times.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Other than the color does it look exactly the same? If so, maybe Purolator got Mann to change the color. If not, it's probably not a Mann. I got one once that was flat black instead of glossy and looked slightly different.

Our local Pep Boys has has it on sale/rebate for a while. I buy two every time. I'm set until 2009.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
Its no the same, They are lighter, and have a different top. The guy behind that counter told me that they are not as heavy duty.,

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
I know, and they won't take them back. I told them my oring was missing when I got it, and they ordered a new one, and it was a mann.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
The "regular" non-Mann Purolator filter is not a bad filter. I wouldn't worry about it. I used a couple on my car and it survived...

·
Registered
422 Posts
I just bought this same filter at Pep Boys and it too did not have the Mann name stamped on it anywhere. I didn't have time to drive around looking for another one so I just went with it. I figured I have a V6 anyhow so I'm not as concerned about it as someone with a 1.8T may be.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I've used both the white and black Purolator L40316. The black is definitely Mann - not sure who makes the white one but have heard it may be WIX. In any case, noticed no appreciable difference between the two, except for the fancy German writing on the Mann.

IMO, both are fine, and probably superior to anything smaller (including the large OEM filter). Those extra ounces of precious oil in that Kahuna filter make it worth it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts