Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so out of the loop in terms of punk and indie albums. Anyone have any good recommendations? Oh yeah, and if you can, can you give a brief description and compare them to another band? Thanks.

Lately, I've been listening to The Sounds, Enon, and The Distillers. Also just got the new Descendents EP...can't wait 'till the full length comes out in a couple months.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Not really into punk, unless you count psychobilly, but my current fav indie bands are 'Interpol' (has a little New Wave influnece, but otherwise sounds unique to me), and 'Black Rebel Motorcycle Club' (has some '60's garage influence, and reminds me of Jesus and Mary Chain).

I also quite like the more bluesy indie rock group 'The Kills' It's extremely repetitive but for some reason it feels really raw, gritty, and seems like really good driving music. Another more blusely indie rock groups (albeit prob more blues-like) that I enjoy are the "The Black Keys". Some of the stuff from "The Dirtbombs/gories" are also pretty cool imo. I don't know if the "The Cramps" counts as indie, but it has pretty good mixture of garage and rockabilly that I never seem to get sick of.

I find myself getting more into the '60's garage and blues sound these days. I think many of the indie bands are taking up the garage sound (including the White Stripes and Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs). You might want to check out a site called www.garagerockradio.com for some pretty interesting obscure rock legally downloadable mp3. Some of the stuff sounds really crude and prob cheesy at first, but its quite good RnR if you can appreciate it. If you like the obscure Garage sound, you may also want to check out compilations like 'the pebbles', 'the nuggets', and 'back from the grave', etc.

Have fun! :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
cant really give descrips but search them and listen... All Indie

Modest Mouse-
Ugly Casanova
Get up Kids
Death Cab for Cutie
Postal Service
The Shins
Bright Eyes
Ted Leo
Maxeen
Jets to Brazil
Belle and Sabastion

tell me what you think.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Some more driving/agressive indie rock junk

Hot Snakes - Former Drive Like Jehu
Rye Coalition: Any of their new suff is fantastic
Shellac: 1000 Hurts it is ridiculous)
Uzeda: Crazy band from Italy
Monty Love: My old band www.montylove.com they are huge with the kids
The Make: My band (Don Fury called us Garage/punk) www.themakenyc.com

ahhh...who am I kidding I am out of the loop as well. Think about it everything that I consider new...is a few years old.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Some Toronto bands to start i guess

Jersey - their old stuff was pretty good.. When they were on Raw Energy records in TO.we played with them a few times.

Marilyns Vitimans - if you can find them somewhere.. listen.. they were good when they were around. Influenced lots-o-bands in Toronto.

Three Impotant Males - Another Raw Energy band. good stuff.

Notoriety - Bradford, ON band.. hardcore influences.. not sure if they are still around.

and these dudes...

Thrice - melodic punk/hardcore with sick riffs. my fav
Saves the Day - Emo'E band. Older stuff way better than new garbage.
Good Riddance - enough said
Straight Faced - repetative, but damn energetic. (Conditioned)
The Julliana Theory - Emo/acoustic type...
Walls of Jericho - chick singer.. kinda to hard for me, but friends like.
Don't forget - AC/DC...

~out

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have been into punk since the late 70s. Every so often over the past 20 or so years I have picked up some "new" stuff and listened to it for a while, but for some reason I just keep going back to the classics. X, Television, Ramones, Clash, DKs, Joy Division, Buzzcocks, Stranglers, etc. I think there is a feeling you get from hearing music that is radical and groundbreaking that is just lost when you get to the 2nd or 3rd generation of copycats. I'm glad to see you mention Descendents -- I was friends in high school with their bass player (I hope they go on tour again so I can catch a show and see if Karl still remembers me). Recently I have been playing White Stripes a lot -- we'll see how it holds up after 5 or 10 years...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
invariant
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing