Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Codes read multipal misfire, misfire cylinders 1,2,3,and cam position sensor. replaced Cam postion sensor cleared codes and everything seemed to be fine. less than 10 miles later CEL back on. Codes read same as above now with a cam position sensor circut code.... Checked everything over and over. put old cps back in and it runs the same... Anybody have any ideas or has had this problem?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Yes, I have heard of trichotillomania. Luckily I do not have it cause there isn't much left.

Maybe a cam chain tensioner? We do best diags when year and engine model given.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry. Its a 2001 2.8 30v. Ive replaced plugs, checked wires, techron, Im thinking chain tensioner too, just want to be sure before I shell out 600 bucks.

·
Registered
27,861 Posts
Sounds like the timing belt skipped a few teeth. Turn the crank pulley to align the timing marks. Pull the upper timing belt covers, and see if the tabs are lined up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sounds like the timing belt skipped a few teeth. Turn the crank pulley to align the timing marks. Pull the upper timing belt covers, and see if the tabs are lined up.
What PZ said, before you drive another inch. A 2001 should have a new timing bet soon if you drive the average. If it's the original you may be a very lucky guy. If it skipped enough to pop codes but not enough to bend valves you lucked out.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
ah, that would be a good idea to ask how old the belt is... if it skips a few teeth, situations like this are guaranteed.
does it backfire and make a horrible racket? get that fixed ASAP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts