Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

pulleys, bad for the engine?

1K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  B5V6 
#1 ·
IIRC, the front pulley also acts as a balancer for the crank shaft, right? A VW finatic that works with me thinks there's rubber in the stock pulley to help balance, and absorb shock. Is this true, and would it be a bad idea to change my pulley?

#3 ·
No, it is not true. Pulley itself is balanced. I have crank pulley (NOT underdriven, from ASP), P/S and alternator (they are from UR), since Summer and no problems whatsoever. Mine is V6 B5, 60000 miles. Best deal is crank, others not noticable.
Not good pic, but only that I have with them.

#4 ·
The stock pulley has an elastomeric portion connecting the hub to the outter race. It acts as a vibration damper such that when the a/c turns on and off. It's been a raging debate whether or not this is necessary. IMO, if then engine can handle a launch , the load of a handfull of HP necessary to crank the alternator or a/c isn't going to cause any load enough to do anything.

#8 ·
I agree fully with Dinan's white paper. :thumbup:
That is why I opted for OE size lightened pulley and NONE of other components from dampener assy were removed. With UNDERDRIVEN pulley this is NOT possible and Dinan's white paper is reffering on underdriven pulleys. On my pulley swap I swaped only pulley and rest stays on place i.e. support plate and inertia ring with sandwiched rubber.
2 Months ago I passed full service on 90 000 km and for now nothing was discovered. :)

#9 ·
Nenad said:
I agree fully with Dinan's white paper. :thumbup:
That is why I opted for OE size lightened pulley and NONE of other components from dampener assy were removed. With UNDERDRIVEN pulley this is NOT possible and Dinan's white paper is reffering on underdriven pulleys. On my pulley swap I swaped only pulley and rest stays on place i.e. support plate and inertia ring with sandwiched rubber.
2 Months ago I passed full service on 90 000 km and for now nothing was discovered. :)
That paper has reached legendary status. Nice to know that you can preserve the damper, but still get a lighter wheel on the V6... thatnks for the info Nenad!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.