Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2000 Passat 1.8T wagon just had a bad experience with low oil pressure, resulting in a oil pump & cam belt tensioner seal replacement. Several weeks later now and I swear I'm hearing the turbo. Here's the scene - cold start in the morning, engine fires up fine, about 2-3 seconds after ignition I hear something begin to whine - it quickly accelerates within 1-2 seconds and then the pitch will follow throttle position (as opposed to exactly following rpm). Also noticing cloud of water vapor AND some light oil smoke from exhaust for a few seconds starting after the noise does and ending in a few seconds. Sound is much less noticeable after engine is fully warm, but I can still hear it. I did hear an obvious "spin-down" in one instance where I shut the motor off after only 15 sec or so; I don't hear it on a hot shut-down.

So am I in for a new turbo? Will the charge air pressure diagnostics reveal anything here? How can I keep tabs on it so I can get it fixed before it totally craters?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
At idle the turbo would not be doing anything really, sounds like the white smoke part could be oil leaking by rings overnight?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The sound you are hearing may be your secondary air injection pump, it is located behind your front bumper on the far pass. side. It is an electrical pump that injects air into your exhaust on startup to heat the catalytic converter. You may want to see if the noise is comming from the pump instead of the turbo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I listened again this AM, definitely not the secondary air pump - as I was standing there with the hood up and my makeshift "stethoscope", I heard THAT kick on ~1 min after ignition to a steady rpm and then shut of after a few seconds. What I'm hearing is not an electric motor - the pitch follows the rpm's up and down, but when I'm driving, it appears to be more related to throttle position, not actual rpm's (the automatic sort of decouples the two a bit). Thought about rings or valves leaking overnite, may make sense since I don't notice the blue smoke if I head out for lunch 4 hrs after the first cold start of the day. Don't notice any measurable oil consumption yet....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Dave J
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing