Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my old PS2 crapped out today. So should I sell the games and buy an XBox, or should I buy another PS2???

I'd like to hear what you think. Tell me why one is better than the other.

Thanx
Jason

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
Both consoles. They are so cheap....get both.

However, a chipped X-box is super sweet!! Haven't played PS2 since I got it.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I've been told that the XBox is better and at one time this was explained to me.
So is it???

I have really no complaints about the PS2. It would suck however to have to sell all the games I aldready have...like 40 of em'.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
i have both, and from a car enthusiast's perspective i would definatly reccomend sticking with your ps2. Xbox has better graphics, better speeds, and Halo; but that's about it. PS2 is going to have GT4!!!!!!! and it's game developers are much better IMHO.
plus, GT4 will be better in gameplay, graphics, and sound than any other xBox game.

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
merk20VT said:
i have both, and from a car enthusiast's perspective i would definatly reccomend sticking with your ps2. Xbox has better graphics, better speeds, and Halo; but that's about it. PS2 is going to have GT4!!!!!!! and it's game developers are much better IMHO.
plus, GT4 will be better in gameplay, graphics, and sound than any other xBox game.
Actually, your statement is wrong. GT4 is the only game X-box does not have for racing (worth wanting). However, they are getting two exclusive Rally games. Rally Racer and Colin 4. Also, it isn't possible for the graphics and sound to be better than the X-box. PS2 is limited. I have X-box games that graphically and auditory wise can't even be closely duplicated on PS2. And this includes the GT4 scenes I have seen. However, GT4 will be a fantastic game because it is a spectacular game and it has 500+ cars. :shock:

Both systems have their advantages. X-box graphically, CPU power, and audio card are all far more advanced than PS2. Also, their online games are like 5 to 1, and their online service is better even though you have to pay. However, PS2 has the software development since they have the market share. Currently PS2 has online only from EA which is big. However, this year it will change supposedly, so all games will be online capable for both systems.

X-box can be used a PC almost straight out of the box with the new softwares out and coming out. PS2 is just a game console.

If you want to see what you can do with an X-box check out this site.
http://www.xbox-scene.com/

Everything from 200+ GB hard drives to watching your entire DVD, listening to your MP3s, playing MAME games, and backing up your X-box games. :wink:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Wait for the PS3 coming this year. It will be more powerful than your xbox. The "Cell" processor is jointly developed by IBM, Sony and Toshiba and will be the next generation of processors not only for gaming but infotainment and supercomputing.

Sony is going to use the Cell processor in its Playstation 3 console, slated for a release in 2004 or 2005. But as the initial value of the agreement between IBM, Sony and Toshiba has been projected to be between $2 and $ 4 billion, the three companies clearly have other uses for the processor in mind. Designed to process information at supercomputer speeds and handle broadband communications, Cell could be used in multimedia computers and enterprise environments as well.
More than games
So far, the chip triumvirate of IBM, Sony and Toshiba, which pledged $400 million to the project and sent engineers to a joint development center in Austin, Texas, has been short on details of how Cell could benefit each company.

The processor has always been associated with Sony's PlayStation 3 and peer-to-peer computing, but will do more than allow players to battle opposing characters in multiplayer Internet games, Kahle said.

But Cell will go "beyond gaming to just entertainment in general," Kahle said.

Shin'ichi Okamoto, chief technical officer for Sony Computer Entertainment, seemed to confirm Cell's presence in the next version of the PlayStation during a speech earlier this year at the Game Developers Conference when he mentioned that Sony and IBM were working on a processor called "cell" that would help Sony achieve its goal of boosting performance of the next PlayStation a thousandfold.

"We are working for the third-generation (PlayStation) with this very aggressive and crazy goal," he said. "Moore's Law is too slow for us."

From his own analysis, Doherty believes Cell will create a new extensible computing platform. A set-top box containing a Cell chip could, for example, combine to share processing power with a Cell-powered high-definition television to render the graphics of an animated movie.
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1103-948493.html

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Honda_to_VW said:
xbox. Looks and sounds great. pgr2, crimson skies, colin 3 (and 4) are all very fun games to play.

The ps2 is technically the weakest of the current consoles in terms of graphic capability.
Did you read above? They will improve it a thousand fold. :lol: And it will be 100 times better than the current P4 chip. :shock: (see below)

What's behind Cell?
While the processor's design is still under wraps, the companies say Cell's capabilities will allow it to deliver one trillion calculations per second (teraflop) or more of floating-point calculations. It will have the ability to do north of 1 trillion mathematical calculations per second, roughly 100 times more than a single Pentium 4 chip running at 2.5GHz.

Cell will likely use between four and 16 general-purpose processor cores per chip. A game console might use a chip with 16 cores, while a less complicated device like a set-top box would have a processor with fewer, said Peter Glaskowsky, editor in chief of influential industry newsletter Microprocessor Report. Some of these cores might perform computational functions, while others could control audio or graphics.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The specs don't mean anything in game console. Remember they said that PS2 could be use for military to launch misille. These specs are like rice stickers :D

Wait until around E3 this May, Sony & MS may announce price cut. Don't buy anything, yet. Get the one that has the most games that you want to play. Recommend gamecube, though. :p

·
Super Moderator
14,051 Posts
Thumber said:
Ok, I've been told that the XBox is better and at one time this was explained to me.
So is it???

I have really no complaints about the PS2. It would suck however to have to sell all the games I aldready have...like 40 of em'.
Yea its definately better. Unforunately the games aren't, it's all about the titles baby! Buy what has the games you want.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
I didn't think the PS3 was coming until '05 when the Xbox 2 will be out and possibly Nintendo's next system.

I have all 3 current systems and I break it down like this;
As a system the Xbox beats the holy snot out of the other two systems hands down. As far as title selection I like the PS2 the best. As long as the GT series keeps coming I'll keep buying Playstations. Maybe I'm too hardcore about my racing sims, but NOTHING, not even PGR2, is even close to the physics of the GT series. If that means I have to sacifice picture and sound, so be it. I'd rather it played well than looked good. Having said that, I saw an in-gams shot of a rally stage on GT4 and I swear to God the first time I looked at it I thought I was looking at a photo. The Gamecube is probably my least used system, but that's mainly because their library isn't as extensive. But I have to say, Metroid Prime is one of the absolute best games I've EVER played. I put it up there with MGS2, Kingdon Hearts, GT3 and Halo.
For online play, I could give a crap since I could care less about playing online, but I DAMN sure ain't paying Microsoft a dime of my hard earned cash to play on Xbox Live when Sony will let me do it for free.
The one really stupid thing that irritates the crap out of me about the Xbox is that you HAVE to have the dvd remote to watch a dvd on it. WTF!!! :mad: :mad: I can watch dvds on my PS2 with nothing but the joystick. :thumbdow: to Microsoft on that one.

I think it all comes down to which system has the games you like to play. I held off on an Xbox until a couple of weeks ago because there are very few titles I like on the Xbox and they seemd to be focusing on sports games and online play I'm not really into sports games or online play.

I think at one of the next GTGs we need to set up some game consoles and have some game tourneys. :lol:

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
quality_sound said:
Sullie said:

Maybe he prefers the PS2 library. Xbox only has a few games I like. Even though it's a much better system, I much prefer my PS2 to my Xbox simply because of the game selection.

xbox + mod chip = :thumbup:

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
I was really tempted to have my wofe pick me up an Xbox in UAE. It's chipped, has a second controller, has a HD upgrade and has the entire XBox library loaded onto the HD already. But I decided against it since it's probably get screwed up in transit. :(

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
About this Discussion
63 Replies
22 Participants
bazzag
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing