Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's what I want to install:

2 LCDs (1 in each head rest)
PS2 somwhere easily accessible, but not behind the fold down armrest in case there's a 3rd passenger.

What do I need? Where should I start to look? How hard is the install?

I have the stock HU and Monsoon set up.

I'm sorry if this has been asked a few times, but searching is bringing back too much crap.

Thanks!

Steve

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
Do you want the sound to run out of the monitors and/or stock speakers?
This will determine some of the parts.

You need a power converter. You can either hard wire it or use the power ports depending on how slick you want the install. The monitors are the most difficult part and probably you should aquire some help. Getting them to sit right and running the wires down the headrests into the seat and down the back is a pain in the a$$.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they can use the LCD's for sound that way I can run a head set from them or something, that would be great.

I'd like to plug in the PS2. I heard that they're redesinging it to be as small as the current PS1. I'm holding out for that so that I can maximize my install options.

So far, what parts am I looking at?

Thanks,

·
8,552 Posts
If you are using the LCDs sound via headphones, than it is easy.

Really you don't need anything other than a RCA splitter to run video and sound from the PS2 to both LCDs since you will only have 1 RCA out from the PS2. Unless, your LCDs have a chainable ability like some do. My Sony's do!
The LCDs will come with the wires to run for power, and you just need to follow instructions. Make sure the LCDs have the clamshell for the headrests. The biggest you can go LCD is about 5.8 inches (maybe 6") inside the headrests, but you can always go ceiling mounted for larger versions.

I already told you will need a power converter to plug in the PS2 and transfer the voltage to the powerpoints 12v (IIRC). Other than that you are gold.

If you decide want to put the sound through the cars speakers, there is a P.I.E. adapter that allows audio in by tricking the stock HU into thinking it is a CD Changer audio feed. Do some searches if you need more info on it.

It is time consuming to install the LCDs, but the PS2 is a quick job other than mounting.

·
8,552 Posts
Here is some info on LCDs for the car.
http://www.sounddomain.com/shoptype/LCD+Monitors

There is many brands out there. EmersonMobile isn't listed, but they have good resolution. http://www.emersonmobile.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=HM

As for my Sony Monitors, everyone has commented on how good the clarity and picture is even though the resolution isn't top. It is standard resolution for the size. The size is 6.5". You really can't fit a bigger monitor in stock headrests, and this is why I went with them. They are great monitors. I would post pics, but Imagestation sucks.

My next car will have EmersonMobile roof mounted monitors.

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
What I did with my 5 screens is run all the power wires of each into a distribution block, and then one out to a power source, and the same with the grounds. Keeps things really organized that way.

Having two people running the wires up through the seats is a good thing....I wouldnt have been able to do it by myself. You can just plug your power converter into the cig light that is in front of the 3rd passanger seat (center console) if you dont want to hardwire it. Or use the cig lighter/pwer source in your trunk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts