Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to protect against rock chips on the front of the hood...just above the grill...My one month old baby took a hit this weekend much to my chagrin...almost broke my foot kicking my hose box on the side of my house when I found it... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Do they make a bug deflector for them or just a bra section that fits over the front of the hood?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Look at the x-pel clear bra. Clear plastic covers paint and they give a paint chip guarantee. It comes in either a bumper or hood, or both, kits. There are also traditional black plastic/leatherette type bras, look at the Driver's Gear site for the official VW version.

Good luck.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool....thanks...Has anyone had any experience with the clear plastic covers???

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 3M clear plastic bra. Total front of car, A pillars, across the top of the windschield and even inside the door handles to protect from fingernails and rings. Can't even see it from a few feet away. Haven't had a paint chip yet at 37000 miles.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really...that is great...how much was it to install??? Did you do it yourself!? Where can I get one? What color is your car? What's the fastest animal on the planet? :crazy:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Try www.xpel.com
Depending on your application area, you can probably do it yourself. I would personally stay away from the traditional black front end bra. I had one on for three weeks during several rainfalls, and when I went to check the paint, it was already starting to cloud underneath the bra, because the moisture couldn't escape properly. Even the instructions say you are supposed to remove the bra when it rains, but that's a hassle. I think the main advantages to xpel are that it's nearly invisible, and it's held so tightly to the paint, moisture really doesn't get under it. You can even wax the car overtop the barrier, and average life expectancy of the kit is about 3 years. Good Luck. Joe.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I use the VW bug deflector on the hood in the winter and I add the lower part of the bra for road trips .. so far very good luck and no chips. The Bra isn't to be left on and when I go on road trips I tape off the rub areas to prevent chafing.
[/url]

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
HarrisburgJoe said:
Try www.xpel.com
Depending on your application area, you can probably do it yourself. I would personally stay away from the traditional black front end bra. I had one on for three weeks during several rainfalls, and when I went to check the paint, it was already starting to cloud underneath the bra, because the moisture couldn't escape properly. Even the instructions say you are supposed to remove the bra when it rains, but that's a hassle. I think the main advantages to xpel are that it's nearly invisible, and it's held so tightly to the paint, moisture really doesn't get under it. You can even wax the car overtop the barrier, and average life expectancy of the kit is about 3 years. Good Luck. Joe.
Thanks, I just ordered some :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts