Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently have a 2000 Lincoln LS and have decided to get rid of it due to mileage and mainly, reliability issues. It's left us stranded 3 times in the past month. We have just started looking around, and wanted to keep somewhat the same comfort level and gadgetry level that the lincoln had. Well, needless to say, we think we found it. We just went to look at a 2003 Passat 2.0T, and ended up also test driving a 2006 3.6 model.

W-O-W!!

We're (my wife and I) completely floored by the car. It's a shame the 2.0T can't be ordered with the 3.6 options because that's what I'd prefer, so we're going to go with a 3.6 with the level 2 Luxury package if we pull the trigger. Anyway, couple of questions concerning the stereo.

Mainly, here's the deal. We've got a Kenwood Excelon DDX-8017 double din 6.5" LCD DVD player that was a Christmas present for my wife to go into the Lincoln. Needless to say, it's not going in that car. But, it was a LOT of money, and what I'm trying to find out if anyone has fit a double din stereo into a B6 Passat with the non-navigation stereo. I figure a good stereo shop could do it, but I'd like to know if it's already been done and if anyone has pics, that'd be swesome too. Thanks everyone!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Are you sure about the engine on the 03 passat, the 2.0T just came avialable for passat in 06 prior to that the only engines available were 1.8T,V6,TDI, & W8. I could be wrong though. Be wary about replacing the stereo on any VW, replacing stock stereos have been known to cause bugs in diagnostic codes. I have a 2005 and love it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Fastbird, You may have a little trouble with a response on this one because the dynaudio has been so well reviewed and the new '06 passat is so new that not many mods have been done; even on a more common mod like ICE (in car entertainment). Good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Teledog said:
Fastbird, You may have a little trouble with a response on this one because the dynaudio has been so well reviewed and the new '06 passat is so new that not many mods have been done; even on a more common mod like ICE (in car entertainment). Good luck.
Thanks, I appreciate the constructive feedback there. That helps. :)

I did some searching around last night and saw that kit for the Golf and Jetta which people are saying will fit. That looks like it's going to be what I need to get the head unit to work. I don't think it's going to be that big of a thing. The only thing I'd be changing out anyway is the head unit. All the amps and speakers would remain until seen fit to replace.

I gotta tell you guys, this car amazed both me and my wife. Our 00 Lincoln LS is a top notch car by all means, and we weren't expecting the Passat to even compare, but man, all the features were just flooring. When we took the 06 off the lot for the drive, no sooner than a minute later my anti-forgien car wife said "I want to drive this." :lol:

I'm trying to talk her into the reflex silver because that's a great color, but I think we've settled on the Union Gray. It's a good compromise. We're going to look for that with a black interior, luxury package 2, 17" wheels (aftermarket to come, probably black at that), and that's about it. No DVD nav (if we want that, we'll get the integrated box for the kenwood), rubber floor mats, or the like.

Question: I really like the body kit. Is that available as a dealer installed item at time of purchase. And anyone got pics with the body kit and spoiler, I'm trying to decide which I like better, with or without.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
136 Posts
going from a B5 GLX 5spd to a B6 value ed 6spd

I was so impressed with the value edition in manual. Leatherette feels just like my cheap leather in my 02 passat. I'm currently driving a landrover Lr3 and can't wait the 10 months left on my lease to end(company car) I miss german engineering and miss driving a passat. I didn't care about the sunroof because thats what killed my 02 glx. I sold it because of a really bad sunroof leak which flooded my back seat area. What I learned about getting every option is more things to go wrong. My 02 had issues with the wood cracking , sunroof leaking, leather cracking. Winssheild cracking.I had 60k on it when I sold it. paid 27600 sold it to Landrover in trade in for a whopping $8700 in Feb 05. I expect to pay somewhere between $ 21 -22k for a value editon in stick. All it needs is rims and a chip and I'm set. I don't agree with the overpriced v6. In 2007 if it comes in stick, I'm all for it but I doubt VW will do that

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
passatfish said:
Fastbird: Nice choice in colors (I have a Reflex Silver '04.5 Passat). I am glad you enjoyed the '06 Passat so much.
Thanks man! I'm still in shock and awe at how many options it has for what it's compared to (TL, A4, LS, ect).

I'd LOVE to get the manual and 2.0T with the Luxury Package 2 with sport seats optioned in. It's a crying shame that you don't have the ability to specify what you want, that instead it's all wrapped up into packages. Really, the only reason we're getting the V6 is because you HAVE to get it to get the options that we want. Remember, my wife is the driver and wants to keep a comparable creature comfort level like our 2000 Lincoln LS offers. The Passat surpasses that by far I'm very pleased to say.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Funny how the VW stories are hit-and-miss... my 1999 B5 Passat runs now as well as it did day one, and has never even hiccupped in all its 80k miles. No leaks, no... well... anything. And despite the horror stories haunting the Touareg, again ours is a good one. Some of them they put together right, I guess. Hope you go for the B6. They are really quite impressive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Double din is fine

In fact, I think the Kenwood is as close to a perfect fit as you can come. I am planning to purchase that same unit myself for my newly-purchased 2.0t VE model, after selling my old car.

I know a couple peeps have installed a double-din eclipse nav/dvd unit, and at least one has done the kenwood on a Jetta... no luck on finding the threads right now, but trust me ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ignignokt said:
In fact, I think the Kenwood is as close to a perfect fit as you can come. I am planning to purchase that same unit myself for my newly-purchased 2.0t VE model, after selling my old car.

I know a couple peeps have installed a double-din eclipse nav/dvd unit, and at least one has done the kenwood on a Jetta... no luck on finding the threads right now, but trust me ;)
Yeah, I've found those threads, and that's exactly what I'm going to do. Get the Golf/Jetta kit, open it up, and then bondo/sand/paint for a good finish. I think to top it off what we're going to try to do is get a custom wood piece to cover the black that matches the rest of the wood grain in the car (once we get it of course).

Wiring on the other hand.....that should be fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts