Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of the pros & cons of going from stock 16" glx wheels and tires to 235-40R 18's? Ride quality?, Suspension problems?, etc.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Cons: Ride quality is rougher, greater chance of bending a rim due to pothole or other road hazard, more expensive tires, depending on the wheel, weight.

Pros: You become the king of swerving to miss potholes or other people. They look great with the right suspension set up. Handle better in my opinion.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
You become the king of swerving to miss potholes or other people.
lol. They're extra unsprung weight too, which means your brakes work harder, your acceleration will be slower, and if you run 235/40/18's, you'll ruin your gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I think going wider will actually give you better traction. I read somewhere awhile ago that wider contact area for wheels/tires actually helps handling. Not exactly sure how it worked, so maybe mac, stealth, or someohe else could chime in the merit of going wider.

As for larger diameter, one question I have, is whether or not the tires also get heavier (or lighter). I'm intuitively guessing they might be lighter, or at least about the same, b/c the profile usually gets smaller.

functional pros I can think of are (pls correct me if i'm wrong):
1) lower profile tires, which usually equates to more road surface feedback (and maybe less sidewall flex)
2) Option to throw on some of the brake kit setups, which require more wheel size clearance.

disadvantages
1) lower profile tires usually also offer less traction.
2) heavier weight of wheels could stress steering (and maybe suspension) components more.
3) get laughed at on track events :p

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Running 18s on the stock suspension is also uncool...your car will have the nice 4x4 look.

It also makes your stock brake rotors look really wimpy.

·
Registered
339 Posts
With 18s you are going to have to drop the car atleast 1.2 inches to make it look right. I would recomend replacing the shocks also if you are going to replace the springs. I would recomend the Bilstein HD's they are great and have a lifetime warenty. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Macabre is the king of this topic! :)

18's on our 4MO variant...drop in mileage was the most noticable effect. They've been resurfacing most of the streets here so we've been lucky. The sidewall ratio going from 16's to 18's wasn't harsh for me (at least compared to me going from the stock 15's on my VR6 Jetta to 17's). You could always put 225/50/16's on the stock Road Americas also...

/karl

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Gurft said:
Pros: You become the king of swerving to miss potholes or other people. They look great with the right suspension set up. Handle better in my opinion.

Agreed 8)
I love the way my 18's handle. The miliage is really not too much affected IMO. The road is pretty rough now with the coilovers, but with the propper tire pressure its fine. Just be careful of potholes and other normal road debris.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SpecialKDog1 said:
Macabre is the king of this topic! :)

18's on our 4MO variant...drop in mileage was the most noticable effect. They've been resurfacing most of the streets here so we've been lucky. The sidewall ratio going from 16's to 18's wasn't harsh for me (at least compared to me going from the stock 15's on my VR6 Jetta to 17's). You could always put 225/50/16's on the stock Road Americas also...

/karl
Does anybody have pics of 225/55/16 on Road Americas.
That was my first idea to put something wider on my stock rims.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Scuba2001 said:
Agreed 8)
I love the way my 18's handle. The miliage is really not too much affected IMO. The road is pretty rough now with the coilovers, but with the propper tire pressure its fine. Just be careful of potholes and other normal road debris.
It's really difficult to say the difference in handling characteristics you experienced was due to change in wheel diameter size, (unless that was the only factor you changed, unless the width of the wheel remained same from stock, and you used the same tire model). Theoretically, increasing the diamater of the tire, with all other factors held constant (inluding unsprung weight), may increase road feedback, but it really should have little to do with enahancing handling in any way.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
physically speaking, a ring of the same mass as a disc of the same diameter has more momentum (less willing to start or stop) than the disc. When you get larger wheels with thinner spokes, more weight is concentrated at the outer edge of the wheel and acceleration and braking become marginally slower, and handling should be affected to a lesser extent. My $0.02 :wink:

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
glx4mo said:
Does anybody have pics of 225/55/16 on Road Americas.
That was my first idea to put something wider on my stock rims.
These are the only ones I could find of our Bridgestone RE950 setup on the stock Road Americas...pretty pleased with the ride quality on the RE950's.

/karl
Indigo Blue B5.5 GLX 4Mo Variant

97 Jetta GLX VR6
"Me fail English - that's unpossible!"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Would I be asking for trouble installing nuespeed sport springs that would drop me 1.75 inches and keeping my stock shocks? I want to put on some 18's but I dont want to sink a ton of money into my car right now. I'm a newbie, so any info would be a great help. [/i]

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
jdahlstrom said:
Would I be asking for trouble installing nuespeed sport springs that would drop me 1.75 inches and keeping my stock shocks? I want to put on some 18's but I dont want to sink a ton of money into my car right now. I'm a newbie, so any info would be a great help. [/i]
When I did the suspension on the car, I saved up to have both the springs and the dampers replaced. Save up until you can get both done in one shot. There may be a chance that you'll end up having to replace the dampers after the sport springs have worn them out and you get sick of the bouncy ride. If that's the case, then you end up paying for labor twice instead of all in one shot...

Do the suspension first. Do it right...You won't be disappointed.

/karl

·
Registered
141 Posts
On my last car, I had 17's on.. I didn't really mind the wheel gap, because my car still drove really nicely... If I go 18's, how bad does the gap look? Or how high-jacking am I going to be?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
HungLo said:
On my last car, I had 17's on.. I didn't really mind the wheel gap, because my car still drove really nicely... If I go 18's, how bad does the gap look? Or how high-jacking am I going to be?
Probably something like Surfwagon's car:

/karl

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello,
I'm new as of today however, I feel like I've walked into VW heaven. The forums, pics, and information are phenomenal.
QUESTION, I have money now to spend on suspension or wheels, which should I go for first? Also, I plan to put 18s on my 1999 Passat 1.8T. Any info would be great! :D

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
siriusmotive said:
Hello,
I'm new as of today however, I feel like I've walked into VW heaven. The forums, pics, and information are phenomenal.
QUESTION, I have money now to spend on suspension or wheels, which should I go for first? Also, I plan to put 18s on my 1999 Passat 1.8T. Any info would be great! :D
Welcome! My 2 cents...suspension!

/karl

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
18 Participants
stackdKat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing