·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick specs:

98 1.8T AEB
Unorthodox racing flywheel
Southbend stage 2 clutch and pressure plate

I have a question regarding proper bolt size that attaches flywheel to crank. (my mechanic is concerned on bolt tolerances and proper length)

I was told that it was ok to use the OEM flywheel bolts however they are clearly to long as per my mechanic. I spoke to some local VW guys here and they advised that I might want to try VW Corrado G60 flywheel bolts and those came up on the short side.

I wonder are we missing something regarding the install, are there spacers involved due to the size of the dual mass flywheel that im replacing?

Thanks for any advice gentlemen.

James

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate that Purple however that does not address the length issue. I infact ordered correct new oem flywheel bolts from the dealer and they are to long imo. Do you have the same set up?

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
I didnt catch the lightweigh flywheel. I would measure the difference(assume thats the need for different bolts) and the get bolts that are that much shorter. Sorry I can help more.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I had the exact same problem when I installed a SPEC stage 1 clutch with a Fidanza LW flywheel. The techs at Fidanza helped me out I can't remember what year but I ended up using bolts from an AUDI. Not actually from and audi but the same length. They even put my situtaion on file so it wouldn't happen again. I'm sure if you look up Fidanza on the web the'll have a number and a tech will surely help you. I wish I could remember exactly what size they were but I know the stock ones are to long.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
BTW my install was on a 2000 ATW 1.8T

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good info, least I know im not nuts on the size issue. Hopefully someone chimes in with an easy solution. I would imagine quite a few members have switched over to a lightweight flywheel and have had to deal with it.
I will try Unorthodox Racing Mon for a solution as well.

Thanks,

James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts