Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at picking up an extra set of wheels and tires for the next autocross season. I've got the field narrowed down to either Hankook Ventus RS2 Z212 or Falken Azenis Rt615.

Neither of these choices is nearly as finicky or expensive as dot-r tires but I still want to make certain that I get the most out of them. $100/tire is a very serious chunk of my yearly expendable income.

I've heard about people getting their tires shaved and/or heat cycled. I've also heard that certain tires will be ruined if they are subjected to temps that are too low.

Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If they are street compound tires, you may not get much benefit from heat cycling the tires. Shaving them will provide similar benefits to shaving a race compound tire. It will cut down on heat build up and also cut down on the chance that the tires will blister or wear prematurely.

·
Registered
119 Posts
On my auto-x civic I went from rt215 to rs2's to rt615 (this season)

rt-215 were great on first run, but when running dual drivers, they would be way soft (over heated) on the second driver. We tried to cool it down w/ spray in between run, it worked, but was still very different.

rs2 takes a bit longer to warm up and holds up ok thru both consecutive runs. we were having problems finding the ideal tire pressure. These tires are considerably lighter than the rt215.

Also the rs2's did a fantastic job at limerock and NHIS track days.

w/ the new rt615, lighter weight than the rt215, supposedly will hold themselves better @ higher temps.

my sponsor claims that the rt615 will do much better than the rs2's, I am not expecting miracle since the car changed so much.

Q

·
Registered
119 Posts
went a little off-topic on my last post...

just keep them off the street and make sure they don't glaze over while in storage.

rs2's are very sensitive to temp adjustement.

I have only notice those tires (rs2's, rt215) to deterriorate at temps below 50deg. I had to keep them inside the car, at the beginning of the season, due to lower outside temps.

on another note, my buddy in my RS placed consistently in the top2 SM classes running the rs2 against dot-R... (it is always easier when you don't care about the car).

Q

1 - 4 of 4 Posts