Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I have a gasoline leak directly below my passenger side door pillar- in the path between the gas tank and the engine.

I started the car today, and smelled gas inside the car.
"Strange", I thought, "smells like gasoline in here."

When I pulled back I saw a LARGE puddle of something.
(About the size of a large pizza box)

I pulled into a parking space and went over to test the puddle-
It was freakin gasoline!! When I looked under the cart, I saw the gas dripping from an unknown line- maybe the gas line?.

The car is on H&R OE's, so I couldnt get a better look.
The car has no history of any such problems, and only has 65k miles.
Its a 2000 GLS V6, low VIN.

!!Anybody have an idea of what is going on!!

PS-Im pissed...
When will VW produce a decent product?

MO

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Urlik said:
The suspense is building, I know...

Seriously, from my best guess I experienced the scenario described in the Passat recall that replaces the car's right-rear wheel liner:
NHTSA Campaign ID: 02V026000

Apparently, in the event of a a flat tire (or in my case, a lowered car briefly backing-up with the e-brake on) the neck to the fuel tank can get punctured and spill gas everywhere....
Sounds vaguely very familiar to me- that is exactly what happened.

Or I could be wrong and the problem is something completely different- like a hose in the fuel-line cracked or a clamp on the fuel filter came off.

The car was towed to Martens VW in Bethesda, Maryland.
Most CB5ers around here seem to like them, but this is my first experince with the dealership.

My car is assigned to Jamie on the Yellow team....
Anybody know if the Yellow team is any good?

MO

PS:
Urlik, its Jason here.
From the gtg in Austin.
Im the joker who replaced his brakes.
You back from Alaska yet?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I think you need to re-read that recall, it has nothing to do with backing up with the parking brake on. :crazy: The recall has to do with a blown tire disintigrating and causing damage to the wheel well liner which can then damage the fuel filler hose.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ShrinerMonkey said:
I think you need to re-read that recall, it has nothing to do with backing up with the parking brake on. :crazy: The recall has to do with a blown tire disintigrating and causing damage to the wheel well liner which can then damage the fuel filler hose.
Au contraire...You should put on your thinking cap ...

Since the car is lowered, there is a possibility that when the e-brake is on and the car moves backward the right-rear wheel could get pushed into the wheel well and into the neck of the fuel tank. This is only possible if the rear of the car is slightly lower than the front, due to the suspenion setup, hence allowing the rear to continue to collapse when put under pressure.

To be honest though, the scenario I described just doesnt sound very likely. I have never heard of anything remotely close to this happening before. If anything, the rear of the car should normally rise-up, if the e-brake is on, and not collapse into the wheel-well. The only way my suggestion is possible is if the rear suspension compressed down, instead of standing up like normal.

The tech from Martens VW called today and sounded confused....
VWOA called thereafter and left a message.
This doesnt sound good...

Il'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Its the Fuel Filter under located under the car around where the rear seat is. Its a hose or a clamp....happened to me.....would leak real bad, then after a short time it would stop, until morning. Always had a stream of liquid down my driveway, thought it was water from the air.....

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
You might want to tighten the screws on your thinking cap. The only way the situation you described could occur is if you car is EXTREMELY lowered, and I mean like sitting on the ground with oversized wheels to boot. There is a very large amount of space above the rear tires in the wheel well. Plus I am still correct about the fact that the recall is not for the tire pushing the wheel well liner into the gas filler tube (extremely unlikely to occur) and has to do with tire disintigration.

You are right that the rear does go up when the e-brake is on and you try to back up, so I think you have something else going on.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
MOxie said:
ShrinerMonkey said:
Au contraire...You should put on your thinking cap ...

Since the car is lowered, there is a possibility that when the e-brake is on and the car moves backward the right-rear wheel could get pushed into the wheel well and into the neck of the fuel tank. This is only possible if the rear of the car is slightly lower than the front, due to the suspenion setup, hence allowing the rear to continue to collapse when put under pressure.

To be honest though, the scenario I described just doesnt sound very likely. I have never heard of anything remotely close to this happening before. If anything, the rear of the car should normally rise-up, if the e-brake is on, and not collapse into the wheel-well. The only way my suggestion is possible is if the rear suspension compressed down, instead of standing up like normal.

The tech from Martens VW called today and sounded confused....
VWOA called thereafter and left a message.
This doesnt sound good...

Il'll keep everyone posted.
Hmmm I would get your information straight first before you accuse someone of not thinking. You should read that recall notice again. What you describe is unlikely to happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is oddly timely. This just happend to me also. Just as Wyxe said, I returned from a vacation of 10 days, and I discovered gas running out from around the fuel filter (rear passenger side). I turned off the car for a couple of days until the weekend when I could work on it. On Saturday I started the car to confirm the leak was still there. It was. I backed it up on ramps, removed the plastic cover plate (this is a 99 1.8T), and inspected the filter connections. All looked good. Put on my safety glasses, started the car, crawled back under to locate the source of the leak, and IT DID NOT LEAK :mad: . Nothing I wiggled, hit, swore at, would get it to leak again. It's been two weeks driving it every day and keeping a close eye on it. No leak :???:

This would be a great mystery to solve (for me at least). I can't stand the idea of this leak returning and starting a fire or something.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Have either of you had the fuel level sender unit replaced ? The numbnuts at my dealer of choice did not screw the gas tank lid on as tight as it should be, allowing fuel to leak out of the tank. The access port , in the varient at least, is under the carpet in the rear under the circle lid in front of the spare.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
IRGUY said:
This is oddly timely. This just happend to me also. Just as Wyxe said, I returned from a vacation of 10 days, and I discovered gas running out from around the fuel filter (rear passenger side). I turned off the car for a couple of days until the weekend when I could work on it. On Saturday I started the car to confirm the leak was still there. It was. I backed it up on ramps, removed the plastic cover plate (this is a 99 1.8T), and inspected the filter connections. All looked good. Put on my safety glasses, started the car, crawled back under to locate the source of the leak, and IT DID NOT LEAK :mad: . Nothing I wiggled, hit, swore at, would get it to leak again. It's been two weeks driving it every day and keeping a close eye on it. No leak :???:

This would be a great mystery to solve (for me at least). I can't stand the idea of this leak returning and starting a fire or something.
You may have problem with gas cap not venting correctly. The pressure then gets relieved into the EVAP canister and may leak if saturated.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Boris said:
IRGUY said:

You may have problem with gas cap not venting correctly. The pressure then gets relieved into the EVAP canister and may leak if saturated.
Boris, this is kinda what I was thinking. Both times that this happened, the car was sitting in a hot garage for an extended amount of time. So if this was the correct diagnosis, any ideas on how to fix it? Seems like purchasing a new gas cap wouldn't do much. Would it be better to have a full or empty tank of gas the next time I go on a vacation?

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
Another idea is to check the fuel line running under the passenger side of the car.
I fixed one guys car that was leaking fuel because the dumn nut jacked it up using a floor jack and using the fuel line as a mounting point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't know where the EVAP canister is, but I'm sure the fuel was leaking from near the fuel filter. It only leaked when the car was running, and would stop when not running. I went through this cycle a number of times over a few days. It was only when I actually attempted to pinpoint the leak location that it stopped leaking. Also, I just had an emissions test where they checked the gas cap. All was Ok. We may be chasing different problems, but it did seem coincidental that it happend to me after the car had been idle for a while.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
The EVAP canister is located under the spare tire approx 2feet from the fuel filter. It is accessed via hatch from below the car.

New gas cap is the solution. The old one has blocked the pressure relief valve.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.