Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please refer to the Information forum for the completed writeup.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Thats a very good deal for a new airbag. The bag will work with the 3 spoke wheel, as long as you get a 3 spoke. If you decide to get an R32, Audi sport wheel, or anything else it will work. You will need the tools to get all of the connections off, etc.

But a little more details please. What kind of car do you have and what trim does your Passat have? 1.8T, V6 GLX, Multifunction wheel, etc? Whats your current setup?

HTH,
Steve

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool. I plan on going w/ the R32. I have a 2002 B5.5. GLX. Multifunction wheel w/ the CAN BUS interface (I can't use the SWIX but PAC) for my stereo so I've lost those buttons. Will I be able to preserve the cruise and horn?

steve

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
I would recommend talking to Quailallstar about that. He had someone rig up a new relay to still use the horn. IIRC, he had to swap out the cruise control staulk but I cant remember. I know he posted a thread called "picked up an R32" and in that he talks about some details and issues he had with his install.

HTH,
Steve

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That helps. I plan on the R32 and can do without the cruise and the radio controls....will my horn still work? Do I need any additional parts besides the wheel and airbag? Will my car automatically recognize the new airbag?

steve

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
You will not be able to use the horn, thats why Mike had to wire his horn seperately. The horn wire harness on the non Multifuntion wheel, and the wheel w/ multi, the harnesses are different to accomodate the added wires for the cruise and radio. Its not 2 seperate harnesses like you would think.

So, you still need to wire up the horn seperately.

Steve

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anybody know specifics of how to wire da horn? And where to wire it.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
You will have to talk to SLAB. IIRC, he helped quailallstar wire his up. You just take a signal wire, and a ground wire, relay/connect them up and thats it.

It may even be that Mike went and hacked the wire harness on the steering wheel MFW and used the wires there. But again, contact him and or slab for details.

·
Registered
936 Posts
with the old wheel installed, you need to find the horn relay....

now pull it out, and figure out which terminal is ground trigger by holding the horn (it wont make noise with the relay unplugged) with the ignition ON, and then use your multimeter to find which terminal is being grounded....release the horn, and that terminal should no longer be grounded (use the continuity test of your multimeter for this, one lead on a known ground, and the other on one of the terminals)

now install the 3-spoke wheel but NOT the airbag

first, you need to REMOVE the multifunction controller under the dash.....
READ THIS PART CAREFULLY:

IF YOU INSTALL THE 3-SPOKE WHEEL, AND DO NOT REMOVE THE MULTIFUNCTION CONTROLLER YOU WILL BURN THE CLOCK SPRING AND THE MULTI FUNCTION CONTROLLER AS SOON AS YOU TRY AND TAP THE HORN BUTTON

now after you have removed this controller, then you have to make sure the airbag wires are in the correct spots (i think they are, and i think the plug is the same....in fact, that is the only thing that lines up)

2 wires go to the airbag.....and then you are left with 2 or 3 other wires (depends) pick one....

now find its coresponding wire on the other side of the clock spring (the car side, not the horn side)

use the multimeter to figure that

attach that wire to the horn frame inside the steering wheel and attach the other wire at the car side to the trigger terminal of the horn relay that you figured out earlier...

there should already be provisions for this horn wire and "button" set up....probe the remaining wires that run to the multi function controller FIRST and see if you have one that already is hooked up to ground when the horn is pressed...

the steeriong wheel frame is grounded.....attach the horn wire on the steering wheel side to the sprung frame that the airbag mounts to....when you press the horn, the airbag frame makes contact with the grounded steering wheel, allowing current to pass through the relay, up the steering column, through the horn wire, through the airbag frame, and to the grounded steering wheel and back to the battery...

if it seems complicated, it is because it is...it took me a few hours to figure this out on Quailallstar's car....and i think he still has problems....because he had fried his clock spring...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What's a multimeter? I think I'm in trouble. Any electricians in the area? :crazy: If not, does anybody want to buy a new 3 spoke airbag...kidding, I'll give this some effort.

steve

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you don't have a multifunction steering wheel, would replacing the wheel with a 3 spoke (with matching airbag) be just a straight swap? Would you still have horn issues?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
tsinbad said:
If you don't have a multifunction steering wheel, would replacing the wheel with a 3 spoke (with matching airbag) be just a straight swap? Would you still have horn issues?
Straight swap -- 10 to 15 minute job. If I can do it anyone can! :)

As for wiring the horn separately from a multifunction wheel: I think we have found yet another use for the famous "6th switch"! :lol:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anybody care to post a more detailed 'how to'? I would really like more definitive steps before taking a $600 plunge. If it can't be done...cool - someone please let me know - Sounds like it can though from the steps outlined below - pics would be way helpful. Thanks guys. :bow:

SLABS outline above seems like it's pretty clear...w/ the assumption that I know what those things are. Calrity is requested by anybody.

If it can be done, I'll order the steering wheel, take pictures of everything and post them so that you guys can use them to help guide me....

steve

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just PM'd him - we'll see what he has to say. Sorry I'm beating this one to death guys.

steve

·
Registered
936 Posts
if you dont know what a multimeter is, then run away....fast....or run to a buddy/shop that can help you...

you also need a soldering iron, SILVER solder, heat-shrink tubing and electrical tape....this is the airbag system you know

look up the wiring diagram of a horn for a normal car (or the passat with the normal wheel) and you will see how simple it is

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
SAVela said:
What's a multimeter? I think I'm in trouble....
I missed this part here. I would have to agree with Slab. If you don't know what a simple multimeter is then this job is not for you. This requires things to be rewired and all you need is the airbag going off in your face, or worse case, not going off in the case of an accident.

Have a professional do it, or dont bother. Just my .02's so be careful with prodding around in there.

Steve

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
About this Discussion
77 Replies
13 Participants
Steve Z1
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing