Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've just added a Sony CDX-56 10 pack CD auto-changer to a UK spec. Passat using a Connects2 Sony adaptor. The HU is an older Phillips Gamma 4 (Gamma under volume control). Adaptor is AVG005. All works fine, but I can only get it to work correctly with both phono connections half out (center pin only connecting).

If I push both phono connectors fully into the Connect2 adaptor then the audio cuts out on one channel (normally left), the other channel is fine. If I push both phonos half in so the center audio pin is connecting only, and the outer ground ring not touching then I get audio from both channels but I'm not making a sound connection (since the phono is not pushed fully home) and audio is intermittant as the adaptor jiggles around.

To my limited experience, this may suggest there is a ground problem? The adaptor is metal body, but with no ground connection. The CD changer body is is plastic (I beleive). No evidence of a ground tag on it.

The changer is mounted in the boot, horizontally under the parcel shelf if it helps. I didn't mount the changer, or run the cable, simply fitted the adaptor to the HU. Both the changer and adaptor are new.

So, any idea why audio is cutting out when the phonos are pushed home, and what I can do to fix it?

Cheers,

~Andy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The adaptor is now on backorder, so unfortunately, experiementing with a spare adaptor will take time - I'd like to reduce the possibility of install error first.

~Andy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The adaptor required a 12V connection which I hooked up from the Radio harness. This is supplied through the adaptor to the changer via to Sony Unilink (sp) cable.

Its my guess that the adaptor requires power also since ASAIK it contains electronics to translate the VW changer control codes (from back of HU) to Sony changer controls (rqd by the changer). It may also contain a small amp to boost the audio levels?

No ground lead was supplied in the adaptor box, and no reference to one in the (rubbish) manual.

I wondered if this was a well know issue with adaptor boxes and there was a standard solution (like make sure anything metal is grounded or something)?

Its been a very long road to get here so Im not going to give up on the last fence ...

~Andy

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
If the adapter needed a 12V lead then it does require power and a ground. It is possible that the ground inside the unit is bad. You could try grounding the chassis of the adapter but I'm not sure if that will help because the signal ground may be separate fromt he power supply ground. Give it a shot and see how it goes. You may have to wait for them to come off back order to try another one.

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts