Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got my passat sedan lowered today... its a 2002 sedan 1.8t.
I chose to go with vogtland springs which lower the car approx 35mm in the front and rear. I also chose to go with with some kyb gr-2 shocks. So according to many people on this site they recommended trimming the front bumpstops about 1 inch... so we went ahead and did this. We left the rear bumpstops alone. After everything was installed...went for a drive.... 3 problems started occuring right away!!!!

1. whenever i go over a bump the front seems very loose and makes clunking noises.... seems like its a blown shock or something even though i bought brand new shocks. (checked all the bolts and they are all tight!) could this be due to the bumpstop trimming?....because i did not hear this from the rear..(i didnt trim the rear bumpstops).

2. ABS light stays on (never did this before)

3. Traction control light comes on....(it doesnt let me turn the traction control on) it stays in off mode...which in turn sets the light off on the dash

whats wrong!!! please help!

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
just got my passat sedan lowered today... its a 2002 sedan 1.8t.
I chose to go with vogtland springs which lower the car approx 35mm in the front and rear. I also chose to go with with some kyb gr-2 shocks. So according to many people on this site they recommended trimming the front bumpstops about 1 inch... so we went ahead and did this. We left the rear bumpstops alone. After everything was installed...went for a drive.... 3 problems started occuring right away!!!!

1. whenever i go over a bump the front seems very loose and makes clunking noises.... seems like its a blown shock or something even though i bought brand new shocks. (checked all the bolts and they are all tight!) could this be due to the bumpstop trimming?....because i did not hear this from the rear..(i didnt trim the rear bumpstops).
You didn't tighten the upper nut sufficiently. I don't want to hear "we used and impact gun". That doesn't work. That nut needs to go down until it stops turning, and you'll know when it does.

2. ABS light stays on (never did this before)
Only time I've seen this is when the ABS sensor was damaged during an install.

3. Traction control light comes on....(it doesnt let me turn the traction control on) it stays in off mode...which in turn sets the light off on the dash
You mean it won't let you turn it off? When the light in the dash is off, ECS is ON. Ass backwards I know. I'll bet it's because the ABS light is on.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
chech to see if the abs plug is back in or in fully, if so pull it out and see if there is crap on the end of it.if that is all good then its dead

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have just done a lot of mods to my passat it is also lowerd i used coilovers i never had any problems with the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts