Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like its gotten harder to downshift into 2nd in my 1.8t 5spd when the shift will put me over 3000 RPM in 2nd. I can't heel/toe worth a damn, but I do double clutch and blip the gas.

The car's got a Sachs sport clutch and the original flywheel.

Is this normal or a sign of trouble? It's keeping me from coming out of the corners as fast as I would like and seriously dampening the fun factor.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only when the clutch was replaced years ago and many 10's of k's ago. What's the recommended replacement interval?

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I can't be certain but I would change it just to make sure. I've just changed my 03 with mobil 1 gear oil and it's much smoother than before........ but I guess I gotta see how it is in winter though.

I have 78k miles BTW

Josh

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
How many miles?

It could be any number of things.

Start with the cheapest fix and work your way upwords.

Bleed your clutch fluid
Flush your clutch fluid
Check your master + slave cylinders
Pull off your tranny, check your throwout bearing, clutch fork, + clutch itself
Open up your tranny, inspect 1-2 fork + 2nd gear synchros

Good luck!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I'm a transmission newbie, so I'll have to read up. First a stupid questions.

I just read that clutch fluid is basically the same as brake fluid. Are the clutch and brake hydraulics actually drawing from the same fluid resevoir?

Are there any writeups on flushing the clutch lines?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
It depends on the car. My Passat was a tip...but my Eclipse has separate reserviors. I'm 80% sure Passats, however, share a reservior with the brakes.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. I'll take my blows.

What sorts of things could I be doing wrong to hurt the synchros?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Well for one thing since you say you can't heel and toe you need to make sure you are 100% done slowing down before you downshift. Second thing when you are doing your dbl clutching and throttle bilpping are you actually matching the revs or do you miss alot? No matter what board I have ever been on these threads always make me wonder what I am not doing since in the 16 yrs I have been driving I have yet to replace a syncro or have a clutch go bad before 100k mi. All my vehicles have been daily drivers, autocrossers, track event sluts, and occasional pizza cars simultaneously. They have gotten stuck in the snow, driven from NJ to all 48 contiguous states, caught air, and all manner of other automotive debauchery. With the exception of having a pressure plate decide to give up the ghost at 110k mi in Jersey shore traffic I have had 0, Zero, none , not one driveline failure ever. I am stepping down off this soapbox now and will probably be forever mystified at these type of threads.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the record, my 1.8t has 125k miles and has been driven very hard...autocrosses, track days and many many slams into 2nd when taking off from lights.

Is there any real difference between heel/toeing and blipping the throttle except that your foot isn't actually on the brake at the same time?

When heel/toeing do you have light pressure on the stick until the speeds are matched and it slips into gear?

That's basically what I do when I blip the throttle, but I do miss occassionally, not alot, but occassionally.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Unfortunately, sychros are a wear item. After a while (sometimes after a long while), they need to be replace.

·
Registered
6,876 Posts
shuPASSAT said:
I can't be certain but I would change it just to make sure. I've just changed my 03 with mobil 1 gear oil and it's much smoother than before........ but I guess I gotta see how it is in winter though.

I have 78k miles BTW

Josh
How much did you pay to have it done, and where?

·
Registered
752 Posts
When driving a manual tranny believe it or not I match revs and skip the dbl clutching. When heel and toeing during a downshift the pressure I am applying to the brake pedal is in direct proportion to how much I want to slow down and how rapidly I wish to do so. Oops pressure on the stick, hmmmm I really can't quantify that since each and every shift is being made under different circumstances. But when I attended my first performance driving school the instructor made analogy for us. "your inputs should be more like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers than Andre The Giant and Hulk Hogan." Now thinking back, I have no pressure on the shift lever until I know that the revs are matched. If you are during the downshift applying any pressure to the lever that WILL wear a given synchro.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so that might be one place that I'm going wrong. How do you know that the speeds are meshed if you don't have light pressure on the stick? Are you purely listening to engine revs (I assume your not glancing at the tach) and waiting for a specific tone?

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
e_andree said:
How much did you pay to have it done, and where?
Don't forget....... I have manual tranny and I did it myself at the bodyshop I work at. It's just drain and fill for me. I got the mobil 1 gear oil from my buddy's mechanic shop.......$25 for 3.

Josh

·
Registered
752 Posts
The unfortunate thing is that again this isn't easily quantified. Experience is the key here but gaining that experience can wreck your synchros. 2 things that really accelerated my learning curve, 1 was driving a non synchro tranny car carrier, the other was a Skip Barber Formula Ford school again with non synchro trannys. But it would help knowing the RPM spread between any 2 gears. So lets say 35mph in 3rd gear = 3000 rpm going down to 2nd lets assume 35mph = 3500rpm well if you make that blip of the throttle hit 3700 rpm when you are in neutral the extra 200 rpm should have fallen away by the time the shift lever gets to 2nd and it jus goes in. Infact if you got it perfect the shift will almost complete itself as there is almost the sensation of the lever being "sucked in" to shift completion.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Gregor56 said:
Well for one thing since you say you can't heel and toe you need to make sure you are 100% done slowing down before you downshift. Second thing when you are doing your dbl clutching and throttle bilpping are you actually matching the revs or do you miss alot? No matter what board I have ever been on these threads always make me wonder what I am not doing since in the 16 yrs I have been driving I have yet to replace a syncro or have a clutch go bad before 100k mi. All my vehicles have been daily drivers, autocrossers, track event sluts, and occasional pizza cars simultaneously. They have gotten stuck in the snow, driven from NJ to all 48 contiguous states, caught air, and all manner of other automotive debauchery. With the exception of having a pressure plate decide to give up the ghost at 110k mi in Jersey shore traffic I have had 0, Zero, none , not one driveline failure ever. I am stepping down off this soapbox now and will probably be forever mystified at these type of threads.
Here, Here!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts