Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am on my 3rd set of tire rod ends in this year [inner+outer] the whole unit. each time I went and get a alighment, they told me that the joint is frozen, and they can't finish the alightment. so the whole unit were replaced with the OEM parts.
It only happens to the driver side, I never do donut nor hard corning. what would cause this?

where can I purchase some strong TRE unit?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Well, I am on my 3rd set of tire rod ends in this year [inner+outer] the whole unit. each time I went and get a alighment, they told me that the joint is frozen, and they can't finish the alightment. so the whole unit were replaced with the OEM parts.
It only happens to the driver side, I never do donut nor hard corning. what would cause this?

:confused: who are you having change these for you? sounds like your mechanic is takin your money and not workin on the car.

·
Registered
752 Posts

By joint is frozen I think they mean the two threaded ends get rusted together. They would have no way of testing the ball joints when they are on the car. Plus your car would not steer.

The threads seem to rust frozen on these cars all the time. The way the inner joint is designed seems to pull water in and cause the cheap metal to rust. Some shops have good luck applying heat and breaking the rust without damaging the rubber parts. Otherwise you need to do the replacement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts