Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my B7 estate for 3 years, 53,000 miles and I love it.

However earlier this week while driving the open boot alert appeared on the dash and the interior light came on. I pulled over, opened and shut the boot. After a few minutes it happened again. Then it started doing it repeatedly while driving.

Thinking it was door shut sensor in the boot lock, I disconnected the wiring loom from the lock mechanism.

However the problem is still there. The boot open warning appears and disappears whether I'm driving or when the car is parked up. If the car is locked the alarm will trigger randomly as it thinks the boot has been opened.

If it is not the lock/boot sensor, what else could it be?

Thanks,

Abe

·
Registered
557 Posts
I would check the wiring going to the lock module for any shorts. Its possible something is grounding against metal somewhere regardless of whether the module is plugged in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just picked up on this thread whilst searching for something else!
Did you guys manage to fix your issue?

I recently had the same with my 2014 Passat Estate with my symptoms starting with the alarm intermittently sounding with the car locked.
This was due to the tailgate lock intermittently flagging that it was open and hence triggering the interior lamps. My other symptoms were the RH boot LEDs (I have Xenon) were flickering/glowing even when the car was locked.

Testing the rear lock and bypassing the switch resulted in no difference to my system and so I ruled out the lock as the culprit.
Reading up on the leaking antenna issue that plagued so may passats, I searched for staining of my roof liner below the centre antenna but nothing evident.... however, I noticed a very light blue tinge where the roof lining met the D pillar top moulding...the blue was actually washer fluid from the rear screen wash hose.
After removing some of the rear trim I could see that the felt taped harness was soaking wet, tracing this down to behind the RH rear boot side panel I located the inline blue connector; the attached images show the extent of the water ingress and the potential damage this could cause.

I simply sprayed switch cleaner and a little WD40 to disperse the corrosion however this only fixes the symptoms and not the route cause; for me the route cause was a split rear wash corrugated pipe. You can fix the corrosion in the connector without fixing the split washer pipe but you cannot then use the rear washer or the issue will return!

If you investigate and have the same washer leak (my pipe had completely split) I can tell you that it is a horrible job to fix; luckily I have access to some materials which really helped.
I hope this helps some of you who are at their wits end with the tailgate lock issue!

20171223_085330.jpg 20171223_090111.jpg 20171223_090119.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was exactly my issue too. I took it to a VW dealer in my home town, Aylesbury, and they wanted £1,300 to replace the wiring loom that their substandard pipework damaged! I don't think it even needed a wiring loom so I asked to see the manager and they told me he was too busy to see me. They returned my car with the trim removed and blue tissues packed into the rear pillar. I asked a technician and he told me that he wasn't allowed to reassemble my car unless his manager authorised him to do so and that the job was not finished! They literally returned my car to me in pieces!

Check out the video here:

Terrible customer service is putting it mildly.

It seems that all these estates suffer the same design fault. The pipework, in my opinion, is not fit for purpose but after their emissions scandal I think VW simply can't afford to fix yet another recall so are denying the issue exists. :-(

My car has been fine since because I simply don't use the rear washer. That proves that the wiring loom is fine too and that I didn't need a new loom after all just better pipework.

It's their loss because I used to be a big VW fan and was about to buy a Golf for my wife but ended up buying another brand entirely purely because of the way I was abandoned by VW.

I still have the car btw, but I just don't use the rear washer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great news that you fixed the issue though!

So if you fancy getting the rear wash fixed you need a scalpel, a roll of felt tape and 2ish metres of 4mm ID rubber wash hose.
If you remove the tailgate trim, carefully cut out the existing corrugated hose leaving the fir tree fixings that are taped to the tube and harness. You need to carefully cut the tape from around the roof grommet, also the same from inside the car.
Ive attached a screen shot from your video to show you where the screen hose inline connector can be found. If you detach this end as well as the end on the motor you can actually reuse the connectors onto your new hose!

It took me around an hour and a half to do but I do this sort of thing at work, happy to advise if you want to take the job on!
passat .jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great news that you fixed the issue though!

So if you fancy getting the rear wash fixed you need a scalpel, a roll of felt tape and 2ish metres of 4mm ID rubber wash hose.
If you remove the tailgate trim, carefully cut out the existing corrugated hose leaving the fir tree fixings that are taped to the tube and harness. You need to carefully cut the tape from around the roof grommet, also the same from inside the car.
Ive attached a screen shot from your video to show you where the screen hose inline connector can be found. If you detach this end as well as the end on the motor you can actually reuse the connectors onto your new hose!

It took me around an hour and a half to do but I do this sort of thing at work, happy to advise if you want to take the job on!
View attachment 87553
Thank you for this post from last year 👍🏻
I’ve had my B7 2013 Passat not long over 3 years. It’s had new aircon & water pump replaced under warranty (thank god) and until today was fine until it started with this problem you’re talking about 🙁 I didn’t notice mould in the RH cubby hole over last few months above the wheel arch but my partner thought nothing of it!
Looks like I’ll be trying your diy job is fixing it asap.
Any tips on how to disarm the alarm
with the faulty boot sensor?
Many thanks
Jane

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello
I had the exact same problem.
I removed the trim on the sides and cleaned the contacts.
I changed the hose. All is well.
Thank you for the information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just picked up on this thread whilst searching for something else!
Did you guys manage to fix your issue?

I recently had the same with my 2014 Passat Estate with my symptoms starting with the alarm intermittently sounding with the car locked.
This was due to the tailgate lock intermittently flagging that it was open and hence triggering the interior lamps. My other symptoms were the RH boot LEDs (I have Xenon) were flickering/glowing even when the car was locked.

Testing the rear lock and bypassing the switch resulted in no difference to my system and so I ruled out the lock as the culprit.
Reading up on the leaking antenna issue that plagued so may passats, I searched for staining of my roof liner below the centre antenna but nothing evident.... however, I noticed a very light blue tinge where the roof lining met the D pillar top moulding...the blue was actually washer fluid from the rear screen wash hose.
After removing some of the rear trim I could see that the felt taped harness was soaking wet, tracing this down to behind the RH rear boot side panel I located the inline blue connector; the attached images show the extent of the water ingress and the potential damage this could cause.

I simply sprayed switch cleaner and a little WD40 to disperse the corrosion however this only fixes the symptoms and not the route cause; for me the route cause was a split rear wash corrugated pipe. You can fix the corrosion in the connector without fixing the split washer pipe but you cannot then use the rear washer or the issue will return!

If you investigate and have the same washer leak (my pipe had completely split) I can tell you that it is a horrible job to fix; luckily I have access to some materials which really helped.
I hope this helps some of you who are at their wits end with the tailgate lock issue!

View attachment 87529 View attachment 87537 View attachment 87545
Thank you so much for this post. It was exactly my problem. I followed your advice and all is well.
Regards m

1 - 9 of 9 Posts