Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a "certified" 2000 Passat last summer and discovered a problem with the 5-speed manual transmission the next day while driving around town in traffic. I noticed the stick jerking in my hand each time I shifted and the speed of the motor changed while in gear. One can easily duplicate the movement by driving slowly in a parking lot and slightly accelerating and decelerating. The shifter jerks back and forth so there is some movement in the gears, bearing, etc that is causing the gears to not stay meshed in the proper location. This has been tested by disconnecting the shifter (new motor and transmission mounts were installed by VW after the dealer refused) and the pin or shaft that sticks out the rear end of the transmission moves back and forth depending on the slight change in the rpm up or down.

I notified them by fax the second day I owned it. I have a new 2 year new car VW warranty and the dealer and VW will not fix it. The dealer says it's normal wear and tear (55,000 miles) and VW of American, their rep says there's nothing wrong.
I have a lawsuit pending against the dealer and VWofA because of this defect.

Have any of you experienced this problem? What was done? Do you have any documentation?

I have driven stick shifts since 1964 and have never has such a bad transmission. It should be under warranty or their Certified Program where they state if there is anything wrong they fix it before they "certify" it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steven Lian

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I got a 2000 1.8t with 53k miles, no problems with the tranny, but it sounds like the insides are loose, requiring a teardown.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I mean, I am not there so tough to say exactly. I will toss this out there:

The VW transmissions are not known to go. Exception given to some cracked trannies I have heard of before. The movement you see in the stick is pretty normal IMHO. This doesn't occur often for my wagon, but does occur.

It is advised to not keep your hand on the stick. This resting of your hand will cuase undue stress to the setup.

Its akward that you noticed this only after you bought it? Are you sure you just only noticed it after you bought the car? I could swear the moonroof opened oh so quietly when I test-drove. Now it makes a "crrreeeeeeek". When ownership is taken and the money is handed over, sometimes our senses become much more strict with what is acceptable and not acceptable.

Don't expect much help from VWoA. Out of this they might give you a free oil change :shock: Lawsuits have been filed and with much effort many members have come out on top where they should have been in the first place. I believe Z28driver is the man to speak to on this IIRC.

The deal is, have the more experienced board members help diagnose this for you. Ask the right questions and be patient. Their input can save you much time, effort, money, frustration, and hair. Although if you have been driving since 1964..... :lol:

Warmest regards and best wishes to the problem being solved,

Stephen.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I also am not the manual transmission guru, but I was always under the belief of not holding your shifter unless you were shifting, as unnecessary wear could result. Don't know if thats fact or fiction though?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Question of resting hand on shifter (forgot to quote your message)
The VW rep told me that that is a myth with the new transmissons, but it was true of the older designs such as those in the 60's (I had a 66 GTO, Borg Warner 4 speed). I only hold the stick while shifting but it jerks before I can get my hand off it. I never rest my hand on it while crusing since that is what I learned when I was young.
Thanks for the note.
Steven

·
Registered
329 Posts
When coming on and off the throttle in all the passats I've driven that were manuals (99, 00, 03) the movement of the shifter is completely normal. Afterall remember you are connected directly to the transmission (ie read no cable like some american POS's) so when the transmission moves due to engine movement the shifter will also move. Completely normal nothing wrong here.

Now if the speed of the motor changed that maybe a different story. If you were under full load and the motor "reved up slightly" then you could have a slipping clutch. Or if while on and off the throttle the car comes out of gear, then you definately have an issue. But from what you are describing it seems normal.

I won't even comment on the lawsuit. :thumbdow:

Ryan

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I think Ryan has a point here.

My GLS with a 5 speed does this, as has most any manual, longitudinally mounted engine, car I have had.

The whole engine rocks back and forth in the engine bay, and since the transmission is mounted to it, it moves as well.

Just be glad the shifter is mounted closer to the centerline of the engine and trans, and not up near the height of the valve cover gasket, it'd be slapping you in the knees then.

HTH,
Mark

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
My 99 does it also...65,000 miles on it now. It was more noticeable after I installed my DieselGeek shifter. In fact, I even inspected the mounts because I thought it might be them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
In my '00 1.8T I do notice some movement in the shifter after a change in gears, but it does not affect the performance of my car. I am at 40k miles on mine however, so maybe it just hasnt DEVELOPED a problem yet haha :D . i just hope it doesnt any time soon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate the information. In my case my non-VW mechanic also at first thought that the movement of the engine as you described was causing the jerking shifter. After the motor and transmission mounts were replaced new it actually made the jerking more obvious. He then removed the linkage to eliminate the movement from any twisting of the motor and with "slight" motor speed changes, the rear pin that connects to the linkage moved in and out. Also when you drive slowly in all gears except 4th and touch the accelerator slightly (so there is no torque on motor to cause the motor to twist) the shifter jerks back and forth. One can feel the gears moving. It is also harder to get into 2nd gear at times and wants to kick back.

I have had 10 cars with stickshifts and non have does this, including a 69 VW Bettle up to a 91 Jeep. Talk about old technology, yet they worked better.

Does your movement happen in all gears, does it vary as to the gear?

Thanks again for you imput.

FastLane said:
I think Ryan has a point here.

My GLS with a 5 speed does this, as has most any manual, longitudinally mounted engine, car I have had.

The whole engine rocks back and forth in the engine bay, and since the transmission is mounted to it, it moves as well.

Just be glad the shifter is mounted closer to the centerline of the engine and trans, and not up near the height of the valve cover gasket, it'd be slapping you in the knees then.

HTH,
Mark

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
slian said:
I appreciate the information. In my case my non-VW mechanic also at first thought that the movement of the engine as you described was causing the jerking shifter. After the motor and transmission mounts were replaced new it actually made the jerking more obvious. He then removed the linkage to eliminate the movement from any twisting of the motor and with "slight" motor speed changes, the rear pin that connects to the linkage moved in and out. Also when you drive slowly in all gears except 4th and touch the accelerator slightly (so there is no torque on motor to cause the motor to twist) the shifter jerks back and forth. One can feel the gears moving. It is also harder to get into 2nd gear at times and wants to kick back.
Mine does the kick back part also I might add, since new. It happens rarely but it does happen occasionally. Say 1/month.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Slain,

Not sure about the just touching the throttle... I'll check in the AM on my way to work. And let you know.

2nd gear has been a problem on a lot of cars. More so when it is cold. I have changed to Redline MTL and that has helped the problem. Just an FYI.

Ryan

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
my shifter has always moved back and forth with the torque of the car drivetrain. never thought it was a problem if there is no sound no gear slipping and it keeps going everytime. could be im thinkin of a different prob thatn you but not likely :thumbup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Depending upon the magnitude of the kick-back it could be normal or not - yours sounds abnormal.

Your stick is connected by a linkage to a shift assembly in the transmission. Shift forks are guided by the stick to engage and disengage gears. These shift forks rest in a groove of the shift sleeve. By moving the shift sleeve back and forth you compress synchronizer rings that engage the actual gear. These gears are helically cut so they are gonna generate thrust forces. It is perfectly normal for these thrust forces to be felt in the stick. In some (cheap) tranmissions you will even find that the transmission can spring out of gear.

In your case it sounds like you are getting an unusual amount of movement telegraphed up the stick. This is bad. It may mean that there is a broken snap ring in the trans that is allowing the gears to move under load (again, some movement is normal). When a gear moves too much, it will compress the synchronizer rings (causing wear). This will lead to synchro failure, noise and inability to shift the affected gear.

Best of luck in identifying the prob - Scott

P.S. Don't put your hand on the stick while driving. Best case it causes the shift fork to rub on the shift sleeve all the time wearing out the little pads. Worst case is that you will always be pre-synchronizing a gear and destroy your synchros.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm no mechanic but is sounds like a bunch of dealer BULLSHIT.

I've got 103k miles on my 2000 V6 and it still exhibits the same characteristics of a new car. Don't go for the old "Okee dokee"

Oh... incidentally, it is in most manuals not to rest your hands on the shifter (when you're done selecting the gears) for the reasons mentioned above.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Just for comparison sake, why not go to another dealership and test drive a brand new car equipped as yours is? See how that one feels compared to yours.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
i see the word lawsuit in the title but there is no description as to for what grounds you'd sue for in the thread. I see you mention problems but do those problems classify under lemon law in your state?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
My shifted moves back and forth as i get on and off the gas. Most stick shifts do. I mean it doesn't pop outta gear or anything but yea it moves somewhat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts