Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, with the winter heavy upon New England a problem that cropped up last winter has returned.

here's the situation. after driving for a while with the fan on for some time (10-20 mins +) blowing hot air to keep the windows clear the fan essentially becomes ineffective. even with the fan speed at full, AC on or off, recirculation on or off, no air comes out. It tends to occur after having it on the defroster for a while and if I put my hand over the dash vents there is basically nothing coming out. the fan is still making noise from the passenger side area so I'm guessing it's still spinning (giving my quite limited knowledge of the fan assembly).

I have the Bentley, but it looks scary. Everything seems to indicate the whole dash needs to come out. Anybody run across this before?

Am I missing any details? Thanks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
What's the age of your car? Could be a blockage due to weather (snow buildup) or something like I've experienced in the past with a car having a mouse's nest block up the air intake. Any strange smells indicating this? Do you park where there is a lot of air bourne debris? Filter clogged?

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
99. 109,500 miles. No smells that I'm aware of, and I spend a fair amount of time in the car. Concerning debris, yeah, sometimes I'm under trees when I'm visiting Boston. I don't recall seeing tons of debris in the engine compartment, I'm usually good at cleaning that stuff up.

Clogged filter. Maybe, but the majority of the time it works fine. Furthermore, once the system stops blowing a noticeable amount of air, keeping it off for a bit will normally restore functionality. It's almost like the system is overheating and losing effectiveness, or maybe getting so hot and something is expanding to the point that there is a leak in the system.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you remove the cabin air filter (the cowling first) you can see the fan down in the intake housing. (I have the B5.5 but hopefully the B5 has the same setup) You can then see if it stops spinning.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great point. ok, that's the obvious first order of business.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
morning bump. worked fine for 2 hours driving to CT this morning (granted, it wasn't on full blast at all)

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
afternoon bump. anybody? anybody? anybody do work related to the fan on their car, just to give me a ballpark on the potential effort?

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sucks to be the first with a problem. well, i better either read the bentley long and hard or bring it to the dealer along w/ a tube of vasoline...

·
Registered
697 Posts
Had a similar issue last fall... Cabin filter was clogged and a "flap of lint" was basically hanging from the cabin filter and at some undertimed interval it would float up effectivly blocking my air flow... although when I switched to internal circulate I didnt have the problem since it apparently did not go through the cabin filter any longer? I dont know the air flow... and if circ still uses cabin filer it could have been the vent switch would open it back up with the pressure change.... either way... replacing the cabin filter for me resolved the issue.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
final bump

·
Over 400K miles on my baby!
684 Posts
Were you running the AC also to defog the windows? If you were than my guess would be a dirty pollen filter causing the unit to ice up and not allowing air through. I have had this happen a couple of times, if you turn it off it will thaw out and start working again. Its the same principle as a home air conditioner, dirty filters cause them to ice up.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like the stealer is going to be paid a visit. Or maybe I can get one online.

You could say I'm "overdue" for a cabin filter change...

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i wasn't serious about going to the dealer. but for kicks i called the local one in W. Hartford, Ct. $32. Thanks Adirondack Auto Brokers (and whcp for the links, since i was being lazy...)

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i changed the interior air filter. needless to say, i've been slacking on some maintenance items. the filter was nasty and just full of junk, thankfully, only two small items made it through (a leaf and a couple pine needles).

hopefully that is the cure. won't know until a storm comes through (maybe this monday on the drive from boston to hartford)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts