Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. So i ran into a problem in about a month or so..... So when i go to start my car, car craks and starts perfectly fine but then after a second or two it suddenly dies, and then when i go and try to start it again it starts and works perfectly fine.... and as i think this only happens when the engine is sitting for more than few hours or so when the engine is cold. For instance, when i go to a mall to go watch a movie and then return to the car after an hour or two it starts normally, but when i go to sleep and go to work other day that problem happens and also if i finish my shift and go home that always happens....everytime when the problem happend the car started on the 2nd try everytime.... Is there anything critical i should worry about?
The car is a 1998 passat b5 1.8t AEB.

·
Registered
2002 Volkswagen Passat Wagon GLX 4Motion
254 Posts
VCDS or other ODB diagnostics are needed here. From the description, the fuel system is losing pressure somewhere but that's just a guess.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Problems such as this can be due to the Coolant Temperature Sensor being faulty. Suppose the sensor is giving a "warm" signal to the ECU when actually cold; the engine won't be getting a rich enough mixture to start immediately. But when the engine is actually warm/hot; the sensor reading is appropriate and starting is normal.

Another thing that can cause these kind of problems are air leaks. Your '98 has rubber ducts between the MAF sensor and turbo, and if cracks develop, then un-metered air leaks in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problems such as this can be due to the Coolant Temperature Sensor being faulty. Suppose the sensor is giving a "warm" signal to the ECU when actually cold; the engine won't be getting a rich enough mixture to start immediately. But when the engine is actually warm/hot; the sensor reading is appropriate and starting is normal.

Another thing that can cause these kind of problems are air leaks. Your '98 has rubber ducts between the MAF sensor and turbo, and if cracks develop, then un-metered air leaks in.
My coolant temp senzor was changed about a month ago due to another problem, but i will check hoses for cracks if possible

·
Registered
28,209 Posts
Does the rpm drop to zero before the car stalls?

Reactions: Tommy1106

·
Registered
28,209 Posts
Has the throttle body been cleaned and adapted? It's a good first step for stalling.

If the RPM drop to zero before the car stalls, it may be the engine speed sensor. It will cause stalling, usually shortly after starting or coming to stop. It will often not throw a code until it fails completely, which causes a no start condition. Mine took months before it finally threw a code.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts