Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"U.S. District Judge Henry Lee Adams Jr. ruled Tuesday against the city in a suit filed by the Rev. Ruth Jensen and Vicki Waldon of the St. Augustine Pride Committee, Equality Florida and the National Center for Lesbian Rights. The city rejected a request last month to fly the flags for a week of gay-pride events."

http://www.local10.com/news/4584132/detail.html

If this suit wasn't based on sheer bigotry, I don't know what it was. They're just rainbow flags for Christ's sake. It isn't like they wanted to fly blowup dolls over the bridge.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Are other orginizations allowed to fly their flags on the bridge? If they are then the judge made the right decision. If they are not then the judge stepped way over his bounds. A request was made and the town rejected it. As long as no one else is allowed to do it that's fine.

If others are, its discrimination

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guyute said:
Are other orginizations allowed to fly their flags on the bridge? If they are then the judge made the right decision. If they are not then the judge stepped way over his bounds. A request was made and the town rejected it. As long as no one else is allowed to do it that's fine.

If others are, its discrimination
Yes, other groups are allowed to fly flags. According to the article, the ability to display is reserved for "groups of historical significance" whatever that means. I'd argue that the civil rights movement and the gay rights movement are of considerable historical significance. The proposal of a constitutional amendment is pretty significant.

·
Registered
22 Posts
UH noooo stop right there the civil rights movement has NO relationship with the gay rights movement what so ever. Please understaind that alot of gay rights advocates try to use this in every debate to defend them selfs. You are talking about rights of a Race and then you are talking about rights of a persons sexual orientation. You cant choose your ethincity (and yes micheal jackson is still black) your sexual orientation is a choice. What historical reference proves that they are similar? Gay's have always vote race being the exception , Gays have always gone to the same schools with race being the exception, and Gay's have always can get jobs, race being the exception. Gay's have never been brought to a country and have been slaves (unless they were open about it and most were undercover anyway). So please dont identify the civil rights movement with the gay rights movement. When you do then that basicly means that our struggles that Black people have fought long and hard for were just cause we choose to be black which isnt true. Im not homophobic, or anything its just that when this is done it pisses me off.
Negrodamus :banghead:

·
Reverend Arthur Dimmwit
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Negrodamus said:
UH noooo stop right there the civil rights movement has NO relationship with the gay rights movement what so ever. Please understaind that alot of gay rights advocates try to use this in every debate to defend them selfs. You are talking about rights of a Race and then you are talking about rights of a persons sexual orientation. You cant choose your ethincity (and yes micheal jackson is still black) your sexual orientation is a choice. What historical reference proves that they are similar? Gay's have always vote race being the exception , Gays have always gone to the same schools with race being the exception, and Gay's have always can get jobs, race being the exception. Gay's have never been brought to a country and have been slaves (unless they were open about it and most were undercover anyway). So please dont identify the civil rights movement with the gay rights movement. When you do then that basicly means that our struggles that Black people have fought long and hard for were just cause we choose to be black which isnt true. Im not homophobic, or anything its just that when this is done it pisses me off.
To you, civil rights means "black rights". Fine. To me, it means the rights of any oppressed people or group of people. Discrimination based on Race, Ethnicity, Religion, Sex, Orientation, whatever. And I completely disagree that sexual orientation is a choice. Did you choose to be straight? I didn't.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
I agree with Pooh on this. Maybe to you civil rights is the domain of black folks exclusively but to me it's women, gays, midgets, people who need orthopedic inserts in their left shoe. Anyone who is oppressed or in any way treated differently than others.

It sounds like the city is a bunch of bigots.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Negrodamus said:
...your sexual orientation is a choice....
There's a whole lot of research about genetic origins of homosexuality, it's probably a sex linked trait of maternal origin. I can trace three homosexuals in a couple of generations of my family tree to this.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Negrodamus said:
It's STILL civil rights! I don't think people are identifying the gay rights movement with the race rights movements I think they are calling a horse a horse. Just because it is a quest for civil rights doesn't mean it has squat to do with race rights. It's still a civil rights issue. Race does not have the monopoly on civil rights. Women's suffrage was a civil rights movement too but it had nothing to do with race.

This is where you are wrong: Civil rights is an umbrella that many specific rights battles are fought under. Civil rights is not owned by the ethnic struggle. Hell working for religious freedoms is a civil rights issue as is suffrage, euthanasia, labor practices, freedom to protest, free speech etc... The fight against censorship and for artistic freedom is a civil rights issue as well! So YES the struggle for gay rights is a civil rights issue (right or wrong) and you are correct in saying that it has nothing to do with the quest for ethnic equity just as the quest for religious freedom has nothing to do with either.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Negrodamus said:
Gay's have always vote race being the exception , Gays have always gone to the same schools with race being the exception, and Gay's have always can get jobs, race being the exception.
Why are you excluding women? They've been an oppressed group since, well, forever.

So please dont identify the civil rights movement with the gay rights movement.
Civil Rights is a general term. Please don't identify the civil rights movement with race-baed rights to the exclusion of other groups. By identifying civil rights as an issue pertinent only to Blacks is exclusionary. Being exclusionary is counter to a central aim of civil rights groups. Please don't undermine the work that many people do in support of civil rights.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Negrodamus said:
Gay's have always can get jobs,
Be difficult for the military to introduce a "don't ask, don't tell" policy based on race, wouldn't it?

Methinks thou dost not pay attention enough.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
Negrodamus said:
Gay's have always can get jobs....

Missed this before.

If you think there isn't horrendous discrimination against gays in the workplace, man, you've got another thing coming.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Negrodamus said:

I love it when the ignorance is so clearly reinforced by the numerous grammatical errors.

First off, civil rights do not equal black's rights. It's civil, meaning rights for all citizens.
Second, if they choose to be gay, you choose to be straight..right? So then it wouldn't be too hard for you to choose the be gay for a week. Let me know how it works out.
Third, you're an idiot.

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
ChkYaHead said:
I love it when the ignorance is so clearly reinforced by the numerous grammatical errors.

First off, civil rights do not equal black's rights. It's civil, meaning rights for all citizens.
Second, if they choose to be gay, you choose to be straight..right? So then it wouldn't be too hard for you to choose the be gay for a week. Let me know how it works out.
Third, you're an idiot.
Post of the week!!!!!

·
Founder of the STFA
8,668 Posts
This is oppression.

I was trying to think of something really insightful to post about the meaning of oppression versus discrimination versus bigotry. Then I realized that due to the strong feelings on all sides evidenced in the posts thus far, there was no room for a moderate position. So instead, I submit the following as my own definition for oppression. I'm not sure of the race of the guy involved, but I did hear he was a vegetarian.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,15531225^2862,00.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
ChkYaHead said:

Third, you're an idiot.

Okay man so since you pretty much cant just take what I said which was an opinion and then call me and idiot how the hell do you get off, and secondly if you open up an american history book the civil rights movement clearly identifiys with black people. You can choose a life style you dont choose ethnicity. Man I didnt know that this form has a spelling and grammar judge so I guess that would be you prick. So I come at you to tell you that you are a moron. I wasnt even trying to go this route but when you directly try to insult me I will definatley direct it at you. I respect all people opinions wether wrong or right, but to go and try to insult me man your the idiot.

Negrodamus

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
"You can choose a life style you dont choose ethnicity."
-Negrodamus

Being gay is not a life style it is sexual orientation and it is NOT chosen, their is significant recent scientifc evidence showing this is true. Regardless of whether it was chosen, people should NOT be discriminated against for their sexual orientation. Just because the civil rights movement was historically linked to the race struggles doesn't mean that it excludes other types of discrimination or that the link somehow de-values what came before. You may also want to open up some history books to see the horrible atrocities that were committed against gays, does concentration camps, showers, or ovens ring any bells. The gay rights movement and civil rights movements both have something to gain by working together.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
civil rights
pl.n. The rights belonging to an individual by virtue of citizenship, especially the fundamental freedoms and privileges guaranteed by the 13th and 14th Amendments to the U.S. Constitution and by subsequent acts of Congress, including civil liberties, due process, equal protection of the laws, and freedom from discrimination.
adj. or civ·il-rights (s
v
l-r
ts
)

1. Of or relating to such rights or privileges: civil rights legislation.
  2. Of or relating to a political movement, especially during the 1950s and 1960s, devoted to securing equal opportunity and treatment for members of minority groups.
Ok enough of this ignorant prattling. Negrodamus, regardless of what history books tell you Civil rights have a definition that is not related to race as I said earlier. It pertains to people fighting for their civil rights. That's it! This is not debateable.
Shrinermonkey you are encouraging ignorance by saying this:
shrinermonkey said:
The gay rights movement and civil rights movements both have something to gain by working together.
Negrodamus, crapass grammar and spelling DOES negatively impact your position. Especially when You support an erroneous contention by virtue of it being taught in school. Guess what... so was spelling and grammar.

·
Registered
22 Posts
OKKKAYY since all of us have various opinions, I respect that but to go an insult one another over our various opinons whether right or wrong Im not cool with. I never wanted to insult anyone or offend anyone. I just thought that expressing my point of view IS the American Way right? I really dont care about my grammar, or my spelling on a thread but Im so glad that I can ask you guys if I need help LOL I was just not cool on dude ChkYaHead earlyer just saying that I was an idiot for voicing my opinion. This is the last comment I will make regarding this topic. So back to talking peacfully about Passat's I go!! again i respect everyone's view education or whatever so Peace
Negrodamus :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 82 Posts