Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed Autobahn Performance in Peabody MA, and the first email I got was $85 for a manual transmission (I didnt tell them that mine was auto) so I replied saying that my car is a auto, and here is what I got. The price doesnt included the fluid,just for the labor.
True that automatic doenst have a drain plug? or is it a rip off?
To properly drain the oil from an automatic transmission the pan itself needs to come off. The pan doesn't have a drain plug like a manual transmission would. It would be 2.25 hours for labor ($191.25 when bringing your own parts/fluids) plus the price of the filter kit (pan gasket & filter) $50.89. Replacing the filter and the fluid would be the best idea for this service.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I just got a quote for my 2000 V6 tip and it was $221 including fluid, pan gasket, filter and 6% PA sales tax from a VW specialty shop. I didn't get the price breakdown because I'll do it myself for $105 including 7 liters of fluid and filter kit with free shipping. I would guess that your quote is about 50% higher than the quote I got.

Also just had the VW specialty shop do my timing belt, tensioner, tensioner roller, idler roller, water pump, thermostat and ribbed belt for $688 ($224 labor, $425 parts, and $39 sales tax).

·
Registered
973 Posts
You can drain 'some' of the fluid without dropping the pan. Do a search and you will find it. But having read your previous post, just take it to a qualified VW shop and they can help you. And you definitely want them to use a vag-com.

As far as which method you want done, really depends on how many miles you have. For example, ZF and VW rescinded their original theory that "tranny was sealed for life" (I recently readx this on the forum somewhere). Now they recommend a flush at 60k miles (to me this is a fluid and filter change, where the pan is dropped). So in the interim, I had just a fluid change at 39k via an indy shop (they replaced about 5 quarts of tranny fluid). Note, the fluid change will not get as much fluid out as a 'flush.' Neither will get all the fluid out, since the torque converter holds a bit of fluid.

The price, $191.25 labor if you supply parts and fluid seems steep. I'm sure you could find it cheaper.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
W8inde said:
You can drain 'some' of the fluid without dropping the pan. Do a search and you will find it. But having read your previous post, just take it to a qualified VW shop and they can help you. And you definitely want them to use a vag-com.

As far as which method you want done, really depends on how many miles you have. For example, ZF and VW rescinded their original theory that "tranny was sealed for life" (I recently readx this on the forum somewhere). Now they recommend a flush at 60k miles (to me this is a fluid and filter change, where the pan is dropped). So in the interim, I had just a fluid change at 39k via an indy shop (they replaced about 5 quarts of tranny fluid). Note, the fluid change will not get as much fluid out as a 'flush.' Neither will get all the fluid out, since the torque converter holds a bit of fluid.

The price, $191.25 labor if you supply parts and fluid seems steep. I'm sure you could find it cheaper.
ZF may have rescinded it, but dont think VW has. I've talked to 3 dealers in Atlanta area, as recently as 2 months ago, and EVERY ONE of them recommends leaving the tranny fluid alone. I pointed out my manual says change it at 60K (2001 1.8T AUG), and they still insist that VW's official position is NOT TO CHANGE the auto tranny fluid.

One thing that has always bugged me about this is WHY VW dealers would not want to perform this service. They don't make any money on new car sales, so you'd think they'd be pushing service for revenue purposes, if nothing else. And this appears to be a really valuable service, unlike some others they push.

I'll probably get an INDY to change out my tranny fluid at some point, but must admit I'm a little concerned about the 10/100 powertrain warranty. For instance, if I change my fluid at 70K miles, and a transmission problem develops at 80K or 90K miles, can VW come back at me and say "Your powertrain warranty is not applicable because you changed your tranny fluid against our recommendation, which was to leave it alone". Or they could claim the INDY screwed something up.

Seems like the "safe" approach, for those under powertrain warranty, is to change the fluid at about 99K miles. But it sure makes me nervous waiting until then.

Sounds like a possible "damned if I do, damned if I don't" situation.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
blmqzjc said:
ZF may have rescinded it, but dont think VW has. I've talked to 3 dealers in Atlanta area, as recently as 2 months ago, and EVERY ONE of them recommends leaving the tranny fluid alone. I pointed out my manual says change it at 60K (2001 1.8T AUG), and they still insist that VW's official position is NOT TO CHANGE the auto tranny fluid.
I had my 2000 in for some warranty work about one month ago and got the same answer to the tranny fluid change.
One thing that has always bugged me about this is WHY VW dealers would not want to perform this service. They don't make any money on new car sales, so you'd think they'd be pushing service for revenue purposes, if nothing else. And this appears to be a really valuable service, unlike some others they push.
My guess is if the dealer does a fluid / filter change and then the tranny craps out at less than 100k they may not get reimbursed from VW
I'll probably get an INDY to change out my tranny fluid at some point, but must admit I'm a little concerned about the 10/100 powertrain warranty. For instance, if I change my fluid at 70K miles, and a transmission problem develops at 80K or 90K miles, can VW come back at me and say "Your powertrain warranty is not applicable because you changed your tranny fluid against our recommendation, which was to leave it alone". Or they could claim the INDY screwed something up.
That is my feeling too.
Seems like the "safe" approach, for those under powertrain warranty, is to change the fluid at about 99K miles. But it sure makes me nervous waiting until then.
Exactly, I have 98k on my 2000 and have ordered the filter kit and fluid and plan to do the change at 99k.
Sounds like a possible "damned if I do, damned if I don't" situation.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Also just had the VW specialty shop do my timing belt, tensioner, tensioner roller, idler roller, water pump, thermostat and ribbed belt for $688 ($224 labor, $425 parts, and $39 sales tax).

Kenblasko, where is that shop? that job cost $1100 before tax on Long Island

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
JDeVoid said:
Kenblasko, where is that shop? that job cost $1100 before tax on Long Island
http://www.dennysgarage.com/

IIRC, the dealer in Hagerstown, MD quoted $716? (no tax) for just the timing belt. I was in for some warranty work at about 97k and the service advisor reminded me that the TB needs changed at 105k. I did ask what the price would be if he included the other parts and he said to call back and he would have the price. I didn't call back but would bet it would be pushing $1100.

Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised when I called Denny's shop and he quoted under $700 for everything without hesitation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
trans fluid price and type

Took a lot of searching for type of automatic transmission fluid to use, settled for Quaker State multi-vehicle ATF. paid $1.98/qt at K-Mart. Says it is ok to use in VW's on the bottle.
VW dealer wanted $300 to change filter and add fluid. I complained about slippage when taking off and slippage until at least 3 full stops and restarts were made with the car. They tried to say that was normal for these sealed transmissions. I popped the filler cover (pry up the clips first) and kept adding atf fluid until the car would hold itself still(in reverse or in drive) on a slight grade in my driveway. Miracle of miracles, no more slipping from a start, no more banging shifts from a dead stop and the trans now shifts wonderful, upshifts and downshifts like a GM automatic transmission. I almost got rid of the car, glad I didn't. Total cost $1.98. By the way the car is a 1997 Passat GLX VR6 with 107,000 miles. Runs like new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts