Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you wanted to do a bunch of preventive maintenance now while you have some postive cashflow (anticipate about 3 years of massive negative cash flow coming up), what would you do?

'99 1.8T @85K miles, aggressively maintained so far incl belts, water pump, thermostat, plugs, filters (including fuel filter), gear oil, coolant, brake fluid, new shocks, etc. etc. etc.

So I'm looking at:
1. Fix leaking oil cooler lines
2. Change coolant
3. Change brake fluid
4. Change fuel filter
5. Pre-emptively replace motor mounts?? motor mounts seems to be emerging as a new area of significant maintenance concern....
6. New battery probably within next year or so
7. New tires within next year or so

What else would you do now?

I have some spare ignition coils and a spare coolant temp sensor. I could probably scrounge a new ECU, MAF, or ICM from a wrecked car for a song if I need those later...

I'm not especially concerned about O2 sensors...if they go they go...

I'm going to exclude control arms from this list because I figure there's no way to avoid getting screwed there....

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
I have to ask how many miles you would anticipate putting on in the next three years. That would help determine what I'd do.

Also, when was the coolant and brake fluid last changed? Maybe buy some of the stuff now (brake fluid, coolant, filters) and just let it sit on the shelf until needed?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably another 40-50K miles total. Brake fluid definitely needs changing, it'll be 2 years old in Sept. Coolant same, but it seems not as critical to do every 2 years. I'm not so worried about paying a few bucks for fluids, but about major repairs to avoid.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Yeah what Rusty said. Can't go far without a timing belt. Motor mounts will cause problems later in life but a timing belt will kill your engine now.

·
Registered
28,888 Posts
I would not replace the coolant every 2 years. It should have been done with the
water pump/t-stat. It is long life coolant,wait until the next water pump change.

The only problem with the motor mounts would be the cat separation,I would wait
until they go out.

Check your ball joints for tears. The uppers are a real problem. You can fill them
with grease if the boot is torn,it will last several years longer. I fill mine each year.

Tie rod ends are another problem area. Plan on about $100 for parts. DIY labor.

How are the brakes holding up? Pads are cheap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.