Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard Prestone silicon spray is good for getting rid of squeaks for the sway-bar and links/joints....how safe is it for the rubber grommets? I know I have to keep it away from tires, just wondering what if some gets on the other rubber parts? Is there any other types of lubes for squeaks that's even safer?

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Actually you want to keep it away from your bushings and links... it's a quick fix, but not a good one. Most silicones will eat urethane and many other polymers (esp Viton)... which is what your bushings are made of.

Fix it right. Don't use the stuff... that is unless you are planning on replacing everything you spray it with.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
I've always been a big fan of white Lithium Grease... it's not the most permanent stuff, but it works well and is kind to all the materials in the car.

There are many types. Spray's, tubes, tubs... all different weight's. Pick the heaviest one you can apply to the surfaces you need. (Somethines you're stuck with the spray which doesn't last as well as others, just because there's no other way to get it to the joint.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do a little research about your choice of lubes. Pure silicone lube is chosen for its lack of reactivity with plastic and rubber. It actually preserves and conditions rubber. Sometimes the carrier fluid used in the spray will cause the damage.

Lithium grease will damage some rubber and plastics.

There is a product called Lubrathane Poly Lube that is specifically designed for urethane busuhings.

Check with the manufacturer of the material you wish to lube to find out what to use.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Neuspeed supplied some special poly bushing lube with their rear swaybar. It's pretty unique stuff - far stickier than normal greases. There was no mfr label on it - you might contact them and ask what it is.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm planning on having Neuspeed to take a lookat my rear sway bar. That's primairly why I was looking for the grease/lube. My car makes this weird single click/flexing sound only when I enter a driveway ramp diagnolly as you normally would. Other than that, no clinks or squeaks. But that annoy click sound makes me feel the axl is flexing or something's going to break....they said it shouldnt' be no big deal other than lubbing the linkages.....hope so..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.