Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed my anti-freeze was below the min line today, so I need to fill it up a little bit. A buddy of mine has the pre-mixed Prestone Yellow antifreeze that's supposedly good with any color, for any vehicle. Since I'm just topping it off and not doing a full flush, I don't really feel like buying a full gallon of anti freeze. Anyone have any experience with the yellow Prestone? I think it's safe to use, just to top it off.

EDIT: when I say yellow, that's just the color the anitfreeze is on the picture on the bottle. It's still greenish in hue, although a light green.

·
Registered
7,591 Posts
I don't think I would use it. Get the pink/red VW stuff (what is it - G12?). You could clot up your coolant; that requires a full flush then. Conversely, if I was really worried about the level and it wasn't down much, I'd probably just add a little distilled water, and worry about getting the new antifreeze later.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Use just distilled water instead. You may do more harm than good by mixing anything other than what you have in there. Not sure whether you have the G12 (pink/red) or the G11 in the system.

Edit: OK, Altair beat me to it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've got the G12/

Yeah, I was going back and forth on it, it's just he has the stuff and I was wondering if anyone had experiences with it. I was kind of worried about the coolant to water ratio, although I don't think it'd be too severe of a difference.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Both the dealer and a person at the parts store said that the pink/red antifreeze has something in it that keeps you radiator from corroding. I'd stick with the pink stuff.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.