Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is by far one of the most disturbing things I've seen in awhile. I saw this a few weeks back and had to track down the link.

Some things are beyond words.... I strongly recommend you watch the video

This happened 2yrs ago and this cop still has his job...was not fired!!

I tried to link to the video, but I can't seem to get it to work.
Follow the link below. Then click on the video url above this pic:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/02/23/eveningnews/main601804.shtml

CBS News said:
(CBS) A parking lot surveillance tape at a Minnesota mall captures the final moments of a 13-year-old girl's kidnapping.

"He grabbed me around the waist by gun point and brought me into the car," the girl says.

She was sexually molested and then dropped off at a mall.

But as CBS News Correspondent Mika Brzezinski reports, the memory that haunts her even more is what happened when she went to the police for help.

A stunning police video shows that White Bear Lake Detective Tim Stevenson, a 12-year veteran, appears to have decided the girl was lying even before he conducted the interview.

"I'm talking to you alright, and you keep lying and lying and lying and lying," Stevenson says in the tape. "I'm watching the whole thing. You never showed up there. You were never there. You never got dropped off there."

"It's time to be a woman and step up and take responsibility of what you have done," said Stevenson.

Apparently, he didn't watch the whole thing. With some detective work of their own, the girl's parents combed through the entire surveillance tape and discovered her story was true.

But by then - more than a week later - the suspect was long gone and the psychological damage of the interrogation was done.

Behind closed doors, anything goes between police and child victims. There are no national regulations for how these interviews are conducted. Training is often on the job. In many cases, young, vulnerable and often traumatized children are alone with detectives who can use whatever tactics they want.

Victor Veith, is the director of the National Child Protection Training Center. Through role-playing with actors, his agency teaches law enforcement how to gather information from young victims of sexual assault.

Veith says most police are more accustomed to interrogating adult suspects than interviewing juvenile victims.

"We need to get to the point in this country where the vast majority of interviews are at least conducted sensitively and competently and when errors are made they don't re-traumatize the child," said Veith.

Yet only three states require videotaping of interviews and even that did nothing to make this young girl's experience any less traumatic.

"It's time to be a woman and step up and take responsibility of what you have done," said stevenson.

Nobody from the White Bear Lake police department would talk to us citing litigation by the girl's family. Stevenson was removed from the case but two years later, he's still on the job and the attacker remains on the loose.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
cops and social services rarely side with victims of assault because of liability concerns unless the evidence is overwhelming / accused is caught red-handed.

don't even get me started :mad:

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is no where near as bad as what this girl went through, but yup I had been interrogated of something that I didn't do when I was teenager. Got accused of stealing money at work. The person who called it in even told the officer that she knew it wasn't me. They even had video tapes and I kept telling them to look at them and instead they lied and said that they did and saw me doing it (which of course i found out later is what they told everyone else). Got interogated for about 2 hours and was made to sit alone without a phone call to my parents for another 2 hours. They were saying things like 'I was lying and why I kept lying and how terrible of a person I was and it would make me less terrible if I just told the truth'. I thought I was gonna go nuts. :mad: Of course they found out who it was after they wasted everyone's time w/this nonsense. It's a type of tactic I think... beat them down until they crack.

Terrible tactic to use on someone UNDER 18 though. I remember feeling I just wanted to say anything to make it stop, but I held my mud. I'm sure some under aged people accused of worse crimes have cracked and just said anything to get out of that situation, maybe even lied and accused another innocent.

This girl suffered a very unfortunate ordeal and to go through something like that (and without a parent present) shortly thereafter... oh boy I cannot even imagine...how completely dreadful :(. And at that age... she has been embedded with the fear of trusting no-one, not even those you are supposed to trust at a time of need - the police. Thank goodness her parents stuck by her all the way.

I hope her and her family do not suffer any heat from that police dept w/the publicity, and actually have pity for this girl and truly are sorry. I've had another situation happen (ha ha why me again) and was told by a NYC police friend how I should place a complaint but to be prepared, police do NOT like to have complaints placed on them and the town court judges will stick by them. I continued to deal with that department for a few years after that complaint, even once walked in her dept and she came right up to me and and pointed to her police patch on her shoulder and said 'see this, this is why you'll never get away with this'. Until I was finally able to go to a state court and the judge told her to 'get over it' and to accept that she was wrong. I was later told there were many of the same complaints against her before/after mine.... Why do I think this officer who mentally abused this child has many complaints made against him and why is he still on the force? Are we this desperate for police officers that we'll settle for mistakes like this, shouldn't there be errors of zero tolerance and don't make me get started on the priests still in the church after dozens of molestation accusations... ugh!

There are actually some good cops in the world, which took me a while to realize. But I'm always keeping one eye open for those bad ones who will unfortunatley always be out there... why did it have to be a bad cop for this particular case :(

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sad thing is that there are a lot of good cops out there that truely protect and serve. It's officers like this that make us forget about the good cops.

I can't even begin to imagine being sexually assaulted and then having a police officer accuse me of lying about it. Especially when all the evidence of it was already in their hands.

The part that gets me is that he still has a job. :shock:

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Thumber said:
The sad thing is that there are a lot of good cops out there that truely protect and serve. It's officers like this that make us forget about the good cops.

I can't even begin to imagine being sexually assaulted and then having a police officer accuse me of lying about it. Especially when all the evidence of it was already in their hands.

The part that gets me is that he still has a job. :shock:
You're totally right, because of that "one" cop who does something horrible they ruin it for everyone else. There are some really good cops out there who take their jobs seriously..... but it's amazing how someone can get away with this and still have their job....... :crazy:

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
I got something to say.

That officer needs his ass kicked. I will do it for free. Make him cry like a little girl. Everytime he would beg for me to stop, I would kick him in the head and say "It's time to be a woman and step up and take responsibility of what you have done".

Dumb ass should lose his pension and give it to this girl.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OCTICK said:
I got something to say.

That officer needs his ass kicked. I will do it for free. Make him cry like a little girl. Everytime he would beg for me to stop, I would kick him in the head and say "It's time to be a woman and step up and take responsibility of what you have done".

Dumb ass should lose his pension and give it to this girl.
Yeah and he only lives about 150mi from my house....hmmmm :suspicio:

He must live reeeeaaaallly close to.. pass-variant aka Chris, one of our fellow moderators...maybe we could get Chris to pay a late night visit with his ski mask... :wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
Thumber
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing