Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if Brembo OE brake rotors last longer than VW OE rotors. I want to know if there is a rotor available that will allow at least two pad changes before I need to replace the rotors. Will Brembo slotted last long enough? Does anyone know? I am going through rear brakes pretty fast. I sit in traffic a lot, so my fronts are fine but my rears need to be changed asap. :nervous:

·
Registered
508 Posts
if i'm not mistaken..the brembo OE rotors for our cars are the ones volkswagen used...just re-branded for the dealer. i could be wrong though so dont quote me on that

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I'm thinking I will get Brembo slotted for the rears on both cars with Axxis Deluxe pads. I would like some opinions on this set up.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
If you sit in a lot of slow stop-and-go, I really don't think paying extra for slotted rotors is going to accomplish much. I will mention that I recently did my rears, and putting in Brembo plain rotors and PBR Deluxxe pads certainly fixed my problem with pulsating brakes. Of course, check back with me in another 35K and I'll tell you how things held up...

SirWired

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
slotted rotors aren't going to make your rear pads last any longer, quite the opposite. brembo uses ultra-dense iron for their brakes, they dissipate heat better and don't wear down quite so fast, at least the plain faced rotors. slotted and/or drilled rotors are prone to warping, cracking and uneven pad wear.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Rbanting69, from what you described I don't think that using a slotted rotor will help you with this issue. A good set of plain-faced rotors and a solid set of pads should give you decent mileage for your brakes.

LuvmyB5, slotted rotors tend to promote even pad wear! Cross-drilled rotors, due to their tendency to crack at the drill-points can lead to uneven pad wear and warping. Folks fail to understand that racers change brake components often and that cross-drilled/slotted rotors have many benefits but high mileage intervals isn't one of them!

With that said, stick to a good set of Brembo or ATE rotors and a quality brakepad. PBR/Axxis Deluxe Plus and ATE branded pads are highly recommended!

I hope this helps,

Will aka The Swami

1 - 6 of 6 Posts