Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've been reading this site for over a year now and really wanted to find out more about clutches, so I finally decided to join in.
I was wondering how many 2001.5 Passat owners had to replace their clutch at 50K miles. Mine began to slip just over 50K.
I had a 92 Honda that had the original clutch till over 230K. 84 Toyota that went to 210K. Both were still good when I got rid of them. I am doubting that it's my driving habits. I'm really curious of whether this is common or not.
Thanks

·
Registered
675 Posts
You did not mention if you bought this Passat new. If your Honda and Toyota clutch lasted for that many miles and you have a problem with your Passat clutch, it's either:

-- Defective (if you bought it new) Do you still have warranty?
Or,

-- The previous owner/driver/ cooked the clutch before you got it, and you drive so mellow that it seemed Ok for a while.

VW clutches should last for 200K miles easy if driven "normally".

:beer:

·
Registered
869 Posts
VW clutches are not anything particularly strong. I know the MK4 clutches are pretty weak. C&D even had to replace theirs in their 40,000 mile long term test of a New Beetle! Anyway, look a few days back, there is a good thread about clutches and which aftermarket ones to buy. It was within the last week.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply.
I bought it new and I am the only driver. The dealer told me that normal wear and tear parts are only covered for 12K, such as bulbs, brakes, etc. I argued a bit but just didn't feel like I was getting anywhere.
By the way, they wanted $1400 for it to change the pressure plate, clutch disc and throw bearing. I left, I'm getting it done by a local shop for $700.
Should I look into this more with VWoA?
Thanks,

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just had the clutch replaced on my early 2002 at 75K. The clutch was so bad the car would barely move. Although the friction disc was still at almost full thickness, the fingers on the pressure plate were partially collapsed as though the throw-out bearing never fully took the pressure off them. The pressure plate was burned part way around, where the only clamping pressure existed. The previous owner couldn't get either VW or his after market warranty to replace the clutch, so he traded the car in.I gave the (non VW) dealer $6500 for it "as is".

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got my clutch replaced. Turns out that some teeth on the pressure plate was worn down part way around as Gordon had mentioned above. The clutch disc was still almost full thickness. 90% of my 50K miles were on the highway, 5th gear, not much wear, as I expected. Guess I just had a defective one. I wonder if there will be more cases in the next year or so, when more 2002s reach higher mileage.
Anyway, Thanks for all the input everyone provided.

·
Registered
299 Posts
02vw said:
Thanks for the reply.
I bought it new and I am the only driver. The dealer told me that normal wear and tear parts are only covered for 12K, such as bulbs, brakes, etc.
Interesting that each dealership has their own opinions on what's covered under the 12/12 and 4/50. Bulbs are covered under the 4/50 warranty according to my dealer (had a fog light replaced a few months ago, and car is over 2 years old). Clutches, on the other hand, are not, as a bad driver could trash one pretty easily.

I'm chipped (for only 2 1/2 weeks), and at 31k. I'm hoping I don't have to replace the clutch at 50k. If I do, VW is NOT going to do it. I'll get an aftermarket setup that is more durable (and most likely cheaper).

-Craig

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
aldolicious77
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing