Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my oil this weekend and went with the "big Kahuna" Napa 1333 filter. I was curious how much oil it held and filled it up before installing it. That got me thinking. On all my other vehicles that actually had a decent set of guages (my passat does not, i.e. no oil pressure guage) there was always a slight "lag" in the oil pressure guage upon start up. I assumed this was the time it took for the system to fill up the filter and get oil to the sender. My thoughts now are to maybe fill the filter 3/4 full before installing it to limit the amount of time it takes to get oil circulating.

So doe anyone else do this or is this unnecessary? Also, what are you folks using for the drain plug washer? It seems rediculous that you should need to change the washer at each oil change (never had to do that before). Anyone swap the washer for an o-ring or something?

One final question: Which repair book Bentley, Haynes, Chilton, others?

Thanks
G-

01 B5 1.8T

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
One oil change site I saw once suggested you pull your ignition wires and crank the engine until the oil pressure light goes off. This fills your system with oil so you aren't actually running dry.

I haven't tried it, but I can't imagine all that unburned gas sitting in the cylinder would be very good for your car.

SirWired

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
I've always done it on vehicles where the oil filter threaded upwards - 76 VW Dasher and 87 Golf. I figure it can't hurt.

Sooooo, Rolnblok, how much oil did the Big Kahuna hold?

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
I've always pre-filled my filter as well as oiled the lip/o-ring around the filter.

The crush washer can be reused several times AFAIK, no need to toss it everytime.

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
Unfortunately, not possible on the V6. The filter is horizontal. I do however pull the ignition and crank for 20-30 sec, since I can't prefill.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Interesting.
I used to pre fill my filter but since I have started using the Mobil 1 OF, I haven't been doing it since it reccomends not to pre - fill.

:suspicio:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Altair 4 said:

Sooooo, Rolnblok, how much oil did the Big Kahuna hold?
I did not fill it all the way as I figured I would spill a bunch trying to get it on. However, I put in a good 24 ounces (3/4 quart) and had room to go. Didnt end up spilling it all over that way. Total oil change was 4.5 qts 0W-40 M1 with that filter.

I do not have an owners manual (just bought the car and have it on order)and was concerned about over filling. I guess all the warning labels about to much oil damaging the cat. converter got me nervous.

On my dipstick I assumed that anywhere in the "rough section" was the operating range so 4.5 qts got me pretty close to the top of the rough. I figure that it holds about 3.7 qts with the little filter so I gained essentially 20% more oil capacity with the "Big Kahuna". :thumbup:

·
Registered
26,817 Posts
I always prefill,lube the o-ring and clean the filter seat to make sure the old o-ring
is off. Even the horizontal filters can be partialy filled.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
RobsB said:
Interesting.
I used to pre fill my filter but since I have started using the Mobil 1 OF, I haven't been doing it since it reccomends not to pre - fill.

Interesting. It says that on the box? Any indication why?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Altair 4 said:
RobsB said:
Interesting.

Interesting. It says that on the box? Any indication why?
There is an icon right on the filter that shows not to fill with oil. At least that's what I think it is.

·
Registered
55 Posts
As far as the manuals go, I would go with the Bently. I just bought a brand new one on ebay, and it is absolutely the most thorough manual I have ever looked at period. It shows you how each portion of the motor is put together, I.E. crankshaft, cylinder block, cylinder head, valvetrain, lubrication system, cooling system, fuel supply, turbo charger, exhaust and emissions control, ignition system, transmissions, brakes, suspension, steering, heating and air, body inside and out, wiring diagrams and all scan tool codes and definitions. This thing has a diagram for every single section, covers 1.8, 2.8 & W8, automatics and manuals, and is about as thick as the Bible, if not thicker. I read on a recent forum that you can preorder a new 2004 edition from Walmart.com for $49.95 which is more than half off from Bently which retails @$110.00. Good Luck :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Chris: cranking for 20-30 seconds??? Poor starter... :shock:

I've never pre-filled my filter...and honestly, it takes less than a second for the pressure to build after an oil change (yes, I have a gauge).

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I've always prefilled my filters. Guess I get it from the older days. Not sure if it makes any difference with the technology in cars now a days.

Get the Bentley,

You can reuse the drain plug a few times

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wheeling Volkswagon in northern WV gives me a new copper drain plug gasket every time I buy a filter. They told me there are a lot of things aftermarket one can safely put on your VW but never use anything but OE oil filters and OE spark plugs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts