Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, Yes, It's true.

Bless me father for i have sinned.

The hurricane jacked up the gas supply, and all thats left on the entire coastal area is 87. I was BONE dry today, and squirted in 2 gallons of the piss water.

All the stations won't be getting any trucks until the end of the week.

Pnw3d.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,673 Posts
Spanky McGee said:
Yes, Yes, It's true.

Bless me father for i have sinned.

The hurricane jacked up the gas supply, and all thats left on the entire coastal area is 87. I was BONE dry today, and squirted in 2 gallons of the piss water.

All the stations won't be getting any trucks until the end of the week.

Pnw3d.
No prayers needed. You should be fine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
well before i got my car my mom was the one who drove it and she had been filling it with 87 for about a half a year and the car still runs, although it is probably permanantly handicapped as a result.

·
One more time, and I'm outta here
5,841 Posts
Had the same thing happen last week and I added STP's Jet Fuel addative. I still get my 27 mpg city/33 mpg highway. Hakuna Matatta

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
And the 93 octane pump says "thou shalt have no mods before me"

·
Registered
131 Posts
I haven't been here long enough to know if you have a chip or not. If not, the 87 won't hurt a thing except maybe your mpg. If so, stay out of the boost for a while. The stock setup ECU will adapt the timing, injection, etc. to the fuel and your driving style.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Your car may stutter at times but it'll be ok. I had an ex g/f put 87 in my old car and I was driving it down the street after and my rev's started jumping to red line and back down sharply, car stuttered and bogged down , it was very wierd, but as soon as I put the 91 back in it was fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You should be fine. I assume you have the 1.8T? The main thing about 87 octane and forced-induction cars is the risk of detonation aka pre-ignition. But most all ECM's nowadays (not just VW's) are pretty smart when it comes to different gas grades and knock. They run the engine with as much timing advance as possible (good for power and fuel economy) and continously listen for knock (via a knock sensor). When knock is detected, the ECM retards spark timing until the knock goes away. That probably explains the sudden power loss Limey described, because when the ECM does timing retard due to knock, it's less than graceful (knock is destructive to the engine and must be eliminated immediately in the ECM's mind).

When the coast is clear, the ECM will gradually advance spark timing again until just before knock begins happening. When you fill back up with 93 octane, the ECM will detect no knock, and advance timing back up to where it was before. Long term, it will be as if you never put 87-octane in it.

Basically, try to stay out of boost while you're running 87 and you'll be fine. Try to floor it and you'll probably get knock retard and your power will go down the toilet.

The reason VW and others recommend 93 octane for turbocharged / supercharged cars is the greater knock resistance and accompanying ability to run more boost ie. more power.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
da teacha said:
I haven't been here long enough to know if you have a chip or not. If not, the 87 won't hurt a thing except maybe your mpg. If so, stay out of the boost for a while. The stock setup ECU will adapt the timing, injection, etc. to the fuel and your driving style.
Just look at his sig................... he puts those #'s down with k03.

Also, I'm sure he knows all these.................. he's probably just sharing his sin......... hehe

1 - 20 of 61 Posts