Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went and installed the new polished manifold this afternoon, along with the new Newsouth Performance Powergasket, thanks to nananana4k for the deal on the gasket.

So I get up this morning and get dressed and ran to AutoZone to get some hose clamps. I came back and the whole removal process of the manifold was pretty straight forward. Having never remove any of the fuel and coolant items before, I was going at a pretty good pace. I have the fuel rail, and all other bolts, etc removed within an hour. When it came time to put everything back, things were a breeze.

I got to the point of bolting all the new gaskets, bolt insluators, and everything along with all hose clamps and manifold support bracket. I went to install the throttle body and rest of the intake when I mysteriously found out that the inner threads for the throttle boddy (4 of them) were stripped. All but one was stripped to H3ll. So I tried to back the bolts out, reinsert, and try again. To no avail... I had to remove the fuel rail, coolant tube, EVAP hoses, etc.

I got the manifold back off, and tried to get them to go in. Still nothing. Next option? Impact Gun. I had the compressor turned off, so the psi was pretty low. I slowly turned all four bolts in cautiously and the soft aluminum took heed to the bolts, and reformed the threads. I used a little oil to help guide the bolts in, removed them, and reinserted. This worked perfectly.

Once all installed, the car ran like a dream. Was a compelte sucess. With the added gasket, it makes the intake cooler, and adds that little lower punch off the line.

Enjoy,
Steve

pics to follow tomorrow

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sunday was the true test for this mod.

Sunday AM we got up and went to Rock Hill NC for a trip to attend the 1st autocross event of the year. This event is out of our region, but was mainly a practice event. A few of us went to the local Citgo gas station which sells 100 octane fuel. A buddy put in 5 gal. of 100 and said that it almost made his stock GTI 1.8T feel chipped. Much improved. Mer personally didnt have the guys to put anything more then 4 gal of 100, and filled the rest of the 12 gal of 93 octane. To say the least, the car ran pretty smooth. No extra ticking or timing delay in the AEB what so ever.

The manifold was hotter during out 2nd run group, but there was that extra punch right there when I needed it. Started the day out with a time of 51.*** seconds, and ended with a 46 and change.

A total sucess. Pics to follow shortly.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
Cool, right on. The powergasket is a good mod. Strange about the stripped TB threads... :???:

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I was pretty upset about that. Dunno what happened, but was just truely odd that I couldnt get them in. I remember polishing it up, and noticed that some of the threads looked pretty marred up. But hey, its all on, and its good lookin.

Got the "saweet" effect at the autocross, so that mad my day. :wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
Scuba2001
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing