Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a question regarding the power steering for my 2003 1.8t FWD Passat. I am wondering if possibly the previous owner of my car put the wrong power steering fluid into my car. I am curious about this because I noticed (since the first day I drove the car) that turning the steering wheel is quite hard. For comparison, I can turn my father's 1997 A6 steering wheel with one pinky while the car is not moving. I am unable to do that with mine without hurting my pinky馃ぃ. It is not that big of a deal to me, but it would be nice if my car turned as smooth as my father's. I would think that they would be similar since Audi and VW are under the same brand, but maybe I am wrong. Are all Passats harder to turn like mine or is it possible that I have the wrong fluid or something. Thanks.

Registered
I've had 4 Passat's and they all turned normally and quite easily. I haven't done the pinky test but if it's really hard to turn then something is probably wrong. If the fluid is old it can't hurt to flush it but I'd be surprised if it makes a huge difference.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
It鈥檚 not hard to turn, just not 鈥渂uttery鈥 smooth like our Audi. Maybe because the Audi is Quattro they put a better power steering system. It won鈥檛 hurt to change it so I鈥檒l siphon out the fluid and put the best one I can find for the car. If it doesn鈥檛 change and this is just how the car is then that鈥檚 fine. I don鈥檛 have much of a problem with it.

Registered
My 2005 passat is not hard to turn but steering gets heavier at higher speeds which is the beauty of this German car i guess

Registered
I am wondering if possibly the previous owner of my car put the wrong power steering fluid into my car. I am curious about this because I noticed (since the first day I drove the car) that turning the steering wheel is quite hard. For comparison, I can turn my father's 1997 A6 steering wheel with one pinky while the car is not moving. I am unable to do that with mine without hurting my pinky馃ぃ.
Any automotive power steering fluid will provide essentially the same hydraulic assist as official VAG fluid, so I don't think that's the issue. Power assist pretty much comes down to pump pressure, and movement of the control valve in the steering rack. Unlikely but possible, is excessive friction due to seizing ball joints or rack damage, or even low tire pressure.

I changed the OE pump in my A4 a couple of years ago, with a new ZF unit. Steering took noticeably more effort, so the only thing that changed must have been the pressure valve setting. I don't even think about it anymore, but the steering is definately is not "pinky" easy.

Registered
None of mine have been pinky easy. There is a restrictor in the return hose. If the hose was replaced without it, it will make the steering heavier.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Alright I was under the impression that something may have been wrong with my steering system, but by the looks of it no passats have the steering that I was comparing to an a6. Apologies, but I鈥檝e only ever driven my passat so I don鈥檛 have any knowledge of other passats to compare these types of things to. I will leave everything as it is. Thank you everyone.

2004 B5.5 Variant 1.8T
I will add my observation.

I had a 2000 B5 1.8T along with my B5.5 1.8T, so I can give a side by side comparison. The B5 was noticeably lighter at all speeds compared to my B5.5. Both had smooth turning lock to lock. The B5.5 is way heavier than any other car I have owned, but I love it. In fact, when I drive my B8.5 A4 with ADS (Audi Drive Select), I change the steering from comfort to dynamic so I can have the same heavier feel of my B5.5

1 - 8 of 8 Posts