Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. looks like if i fix one problem, another arises, but hey. isn't that y we love our B5's so much? lol

I
m hearing a small grinding kind of noise when i turn the wheel to eoighther direction. It happens only when the engine is at operating temperatures.

I may have made a mistake a while back. I have known about a leak somewhere down in the power steering hoses, but since it wasn't significant i kept pouring power steering fluid in there. But regular power steering fluid :banghead:

So i may have f'd it up. I'm thinking now, that i would like to replace all the hoses associated with power steering, and was thinking if there is an alternate (read better) solution than OEM. If there is, LMK.

Also how would you go about changing the whole power steering hoses/lubriant. I've seen specific lubricant in various websites that is for the power steering.

Any help would be apreciated...

Cheers

BND

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
why do you have to change all the hoses? just fix the leak.

anyway, i'd recommend fixing the leak and then flushing the system with genuine OEM fluid...you can NOT use other fluids.

you flush the system by undoing the resevoir return line and drain into a bucket. Fill the resevoir with NEW fluid. crank the engine for 3 seconds MAX! it will suck in the new fluid and spit out the old. refill resevoir and repeat until the new fluid is coming out.

like i said, crank the engine for 3 seconds MAX!

this article was written for an A8, but i used it on my A4 fine, the concept is the same. be aware his use of "return" and "supply" is all f'd up. basically the pictures are right and his wording is wrong.

http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articles/susp_whls_brake_steer/psflush.html

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the great info. I'm off to the dealer to buy me some fluid :D i will have to check into the leak itself. I din't know why i have the leak. did yours take 2 liters as well? and it should be the same way. like the lower hose is the supply, and the one above it, is the return?

Again, Thanks for the great info. I may do a FAQ with pics on the process... :D

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
BoyNextDoor said:
thanks for the great info. I'm off to the dealer to buy me some fluid :D i will have to check into the leak itself. I din't know why i have the leak. did yours take 2 liters as well? and it should be the same way. like the lower hose is the supply, and the one above it, is the return?

Again, Thanks for the great info. I may do a FAQ with pics on the process... :D
when i did mine i used 2.5 liters...lol. the stuff is expensive, but nearly as expensive as a new PS rack.

identify the PS lines by function. the line that goes right to the PS pump is the supply TO the system. you want to remove the hose that is coming FROM the system, which should be thinner and not coming from the pump.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
oh...and ill reiterate...only crank the engine for 3-4 seconds MAX!...its easier if you have someone else doing the cranking, and you can watch the fluid suck from the resevoir, and you can yell "STOP" once it is all sucked in.

allowing the pump to run dry = new pump.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok... I'mma try my best on sunday
i'm picking up the fuid today, and i'mma try to figure out the leak as well...

I hope i can fix this too...1 I don't want a new PS pump... :lol:

Thanks for all the help so far.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts