Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 GLS Sedan, V6 ATQ, 5-speed manual - I replaced my power steering pump yesterday. The bearings in the pump for the pulley had been failing for a while (clicking sound and a slight rattle) and, ironically, the new pump was already on its way when failure occurred. I installed a re-manufactured Bosch pump from ECS Tuning. While I was at it, I replaced the smaller, top suction hose leading to the pump. I followed the Bentley manual, Haynes book, and advice found here, pretty much by the numbers. It went pretty well, nothing too hard except for the old hose. It was practically welded onto the old pump. Primed the new pump as directed, everything torqued just right, hose clamps nice and tight. I bled the system according to the Bentley instructions until no more air in the reservoir. No high pitched whining and the pre-failure noises gone. End result: the steering wheel is still very hard to turn when the wheels are put back on the ground. Still better than when the pump failed, but not by much and no where near proper operation. I've bled it two more times and no air bubbles are appearing. I observed the P/S fluid rising and falling in the reservoir when the steering wheel is turned. No odd noises, no leaks anywhere in the system. I observed no odd sounds or movements (as best I could) from the steering rack and tie rods. I drove it around the block twice to see if that would shake things out and help, but no improvements noted. My conclusion is the re-manufactured pump is bad, but I wanted to hear any perspectives from you folks to see if I missed something. Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Assuming that you tried it with the specified power steering fluid, I'd agree with you. Reman units of anything seem to be bad immediately or bad after a lower than normal amount of mileage.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. Yes, specified fluid. What bums me out (other than the longer fix) is that Bosch is a mainline brand. I've put their parts elsewhere on my vehicle without problems. I expected quality. I guess re-manufactured is too much to expect. ANyway, thanks again.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,504 Posts
A guess, subject to correction by those more familiar with power steering hydraulics than I am --

Could your rack's internal seals be leaking?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I replaced the pump in my '03 V6 with a pump from "Autozone" and the bleeding was a pain in the b....... Pump works fine but it is a bit harder than the failed pump....

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Hate to say it, but maybe a rack problem. The new pump may be providing pressure just fine, but if the rack's valve is stuck, there won't be power assist. The fluid will move in and out of the reservoir though, same as turning the steering wheel with the engine off.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,614 Posts
Hate to say it, but maybe a rack problem.
I was reading online that someone had the power steering failure issue and the stealership had charged him $4700 to replace the entire rack. They had told the guy that leaking and failing pump had totally ruined the rack.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I was reading online that someone had the power steering failure issue and the stealership had charged him $4700 to replace the entire rack. They had told the guy that leaking and failing pump had totally ruined the rack.
Crazy price even for a dealership. Rack part number 8D1422052KX (v6) can be had for $800-1000 all day long. 6 hours labor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just want to follow-up with the resolution. It was a bad replacement pump. I bought another re-manufactured pump direct from VW. (It was only $30 more than the original one.) Did it all one more time and it works great.

A few notes: the banjo bolt and the pressure line have a line across both of them, implying alignment. You don't have to align them on replacement. Torque it to the right spec (50 Nm). The marks are no longer aligned, but the bolt and line are still good. I overthought it after the initial tightening and concluded they needed to be aligned...bad idea. Trust the torque or have some rags handy. (You must replace the sealing rings on the pressure hose.)

Also, I didn't replace all the hoses I wanted to, but you absolutely need to replace the supply hose to the pump. My old one was practically welded on. I basically had to saw it off the pump for removal. The new softer one went right on smoothly. $24 from my supplier.

I bled it according to the Bentley manual. It worked just fine and quickly.

Overall, a fairly easy repair. The pump is just below the ignition coils, so it's easy to get to. You don't need to put it in the service position, although torquing the pulley bolts could be a concern.) I had some adventure and stress, but it's all pretty straightforward. Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts