Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I replaced the steering power pump in my wife’s V6 wagon. Not too bad, I thought I bled the system by raising it and turning 10 times each way. Took it for a ride and steering it’s hard, I’m guessing I need to bleed it again... dumb question though, should the reservoir have the cap on or off while doing this???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 GTI S
888 Posts
Unless you have another problem, it should bleed itself after a few miles.

Manual says raise vehicle and turn lock-to-lock 10 times with engine off. Check fluid level. Then start engine and turn lock-to-lock 10 more times. Check fluid level again. Any remaining air should dissipate while driving over the next 10-20 km.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unless you have another problem, it should bleed itself after a few miles.

Manual says raise vehicle and turn lock-to-lock 10 times with engine off. Check fluid level. Then start engine and turn lock-to-lock 10 more times. Check fluid level again. Any remaining air should dissipate while driving over the next 10-20 km.
I’ve done that twice, went for a 5 mile drive and it’s still pretty stiff....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
If there are further issues, I would replace the feed hose to the right of the pump. They tend to harden over time, can often crack and will not always re-seal once removed from the pump inlet. This will allow air into the pump, making for an intermittent hard to steer car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.