Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car groan rubber on rubber noise from column only when I turn to right; thought it was fluid and i put in the wrong fluid, so this weekend i will flush and look at susp. joints. But, the wrong fluid didn't change anything. ? If it only happens when I turn to right this doesn't necessarily mean it's the right wheel; could be part of left wheel doing all the groaning. This happened all of a sudden after a drive on a sandy beach, but don't let this throw you off the trail 1.8t 2000 tip Two clues: Only happens when I turn to right and noise groans rubber on rubber noise coming from column with effort in slow driving turns????

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I sprayed the susp. joints with wd40 and notice a lot lesss moan and groan; maybe the drive on the beach kicked sand up into them and made a "dry" socket in the joints

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
Did you spray the bushings or the ball joints? If the noise was from the ball joints (or tie rod ends) they should be replaced.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
I sprayed the susp. joints with wd40 and notice a lot lesss moan and groan; maybe the drive on the beach kicked sand up into them and made a "dry" socket in the joints
WD40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT. It is a combination of solvents that dissolves old, gunked-up oil and then evaporates. Use it to clean gunky parts or to re-liquify oil that has turned to goop. DO NOT USE IT TO LUBRICATE PARTS.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
when i had my creek, i pushed up and down and heard it to see what side it came from.
narrowed that down then tried to see if it was top or bottom.
then poked a hole in the rubber and with a test light, then used the hard plastic spray hose and sprayed white lube and when the noise went away i knew what had to be changed:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts