Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Power Steering Flush

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ylwagon 
#1 ·
I need to flush the system and have read many suggestions on how to do this. Looks straight forward but no where can I find which reservoir port is the intake port, After looking at diagrams I am guessing the it is the smaller port toward the firewall but would like to have confirmation that I am right.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
OK, first, you need to specify which engine you have, and any other particulars that might relate to your question. Next, I am confused about the reference to a 'reservoir intake port'. The access point for the power steering fluid is at the reservoir, behind the left-front headlight, with a green cap.

Did the fluid get contaminated somehow, or do you just want to change the old PS fluid with new? Typically, you will get the front wheels clear of the ground so they can turn, then unclamp and pull the supply hose from the reservoir (the one leading to the PS pump) and allow the fluid to drain into a container. Turn the steering wheel lock-to-lock (engine off) until you no longer are discharging fluid out of the reservoir. Put the hose back on, then fill the reservoir with new fluid. Have a helper turn the wheel again lock to lock as you watch the fluid level, having the helper stop every time the level gets too low, to add fluid. At this point, you are avoiding drawing air in. After a while the level won't drop as the steering is moved, and bubbles will cease to appear. Next, breifly (for a few seconds) start the engine, which will move air out of the pump. Resume moving the steering lock to lock with the engine off, and when you are satisfied that the level is staying constant, take it for a drive, again moving the steering full-stroke a low speeds. Any remaining air should purge fairly quickly.

One thing that I highly recommend is to seal those two rubber hoses at the bottom of the reservoir with silicone sealant. My 19 year-old A4's PS hoses stay dry as a bone after doing this: With the hoses disconnected, use alcohol and and lint-free cloth to swab an inch or so inside each hose. Likewise, carefully clean the plastic barbed hose fittings of the reservoir, then apply sealant behind the barb, so it won't get into the hose where the fluid will be. Clamp and there should be no leakage.

#3 ·
Here are a couple DIy's on the steering fluid flush. Your V6 is a little different but all the basics of the process are the same. Along with the notes ylwagon gave you you should be fine. The DIY's are for the 1.8 engine so there is more room in the engine bay than the V6. I don't think you will find room for the catch bottle beside the power steering reservoir. I removed the belly pan and pulled the Return hose down through the engine bay and had the catch bottle on the ground under the car.

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/volkswagen-passat-b5-discussion/342520-power-steering-fluid-flush-%2A%2A%2Adiy%2A%2A%2A.html

audipages Power Steering Fluid Flush

#4 ·
Advice: Don't trust a golf tee (wedged into rear nozzle of reservoir) to prevent fresh fluid from leaking out while the disconnected return hose is routing the old fluid to a disposal container. Read the DIY for more info.
I used a 1 quart container inside the 1.8T eng. bay for catching the old fluid (requires more frequent stop/start of engine).

The new fluid is better for reconditioning the rack seals, but if your PS pump has the occasional groan, the new fluid won't make a whole lot of difference in the pump noise.

#5 ·
The new fluid is better for reconditioning the rack seals, but if your PS pump has the occasional groan, the new fluid won't make a whole lot of difference in the pump noise.
Since the OP hasn't yet responded, maybe a groaning pump is his issue. In that case, especially on the V6, air leaks into the supply hose connections can be the reason. The 2.8's PS pump is about the same level as the reservoir, so a loose supply hose connection at the pump can leak air in, but not necessarily leak fluid out, since it is never under pressure there, even with the engine off. Many time groaning noises have been solved on the V6 simply by securing that hose clamp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.