Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you experienced this? All of a sudden, I have had to refill my power steering fluid 3 times this week. Obviously a leak, but I wonder if the line runs under the engine. The only scrapes I've taken were on a few speed bumps last weekend. Didn't seem like I ruptured anything. And if not a leak, how am I burning it up so fast. Any help?

·
Registered
352 Posts
What year?
With my 98, the hoses that connect to the fluid container tend to work themselves loose allowing small drops to run down the lines making a mess and over time needing a slight refill.. they're held on by those terrible pinch clamps.

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
yea i have to remove the crimp clamps and try the regular screw tightening clamps on my 99. i have a dirty mess under there from power steering fluid :sad:

·
Registered
272 Posts
This has been covered under a recall notice. It happened to my '99 and was fixed when I brought it in for service!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I have a '98. I must have missed the recall. I'll have them look for the TSA that covered it and get it fixed. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
PassatW8owner said:
This has been covered under a recall notice. It happened to my '99 and was fixed when I brought it in for service!
I have this exact problem along with the cam seal leak and slow coolant leak... I've seen other threads on power steering leakes without this mentioned and folks paying $200-250 from the dealer to fix. I can't find the TSA listed?

Can someone confirm the recall notice or TSA #?

·
Loose female member
4,885 Posts
I have not heard of a recall for this in the 4 years I have owned my Passat.
Like everyone else though I noticed a leak, replaced the clamps and refilled the PS fluid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
V6'er.

Thanks for info. I can't find a recall notice after a few web searches -- maybe it's a dealer satisfaction judgment?

BTW, Is this an easy DIY job after you get the belly pan off?

Assuming I can simply get the hose and clamps from a VW dealer? Anything else needed? Can I reuse the PS fluid?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
7 Participants
PDXPassat
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing