Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing my oil change and notice the power steering fluid is way low. So not wanting to drive it too far, I head to the local auto parts store and look for fluid. They tell me that regular Castrol P/S fluid will be just fine...only car it doesn't work on is Hondas. I say uhh no thanks and head off to a better store.

I go up to the next counter and ask for P/S fluid for a Passat and the guy says "yes we do have that Pentosin fluid", and adds "good thing you didn't use that Castrol, I customer came in after he had put Castrol in and had to replace his whole steering rack!!"

Would I have been really screwed if I had used the Castrol or was that a false scare. Also which Pentosin is the right stuff?

Thanks everyone Bob :)

·
Registered
3,748 Posts

Pentosin CHF 11S Hydraulic Fluid

PENTOSIN CHF 11S is a special hydraulic fluid with an even more extended temperature range -40 degrees C up to min. 130 degrees C., within which perfect operating is guaranteed. Due to this fact Pentosin CHF 11S is especially suitable for a variety of hydraulic network and steerings of latest vehicle developments, where the applied fluid has a direct influence on safety and driving comfort.Pentosin CHF 11S guarantees a perfect operation of all hydraulic systems, such as power steering, rear axle steering, level control, hydropneumatic suspension, shock absorbers, active damping of engine fixtures, hydrostatic drive for fan, generator and air condition, stability and traction systems (ABS/ASR/ASC), electrohydraulic cabriolet top actuation, central locking systems etc. This fluid is especially suitable for operation in climate regions which are exposed to extreme temperature fluctuations, as well as in systems of reduced volumina and small construction part sizes. Cross reference: Audi/VW #G002000; BMW #82 11 1 468 041; Mercedes #Q13200001, A001989240310; MINI #82110148132; Porsche #00004320333; SAAB # 3023 380; Volvo #11 61 529. Packaged in a One (1) Liter can.

https://www.kattare.com/secure/autobahnfluids.com/store/st_list.jsp?catid=11

Rich :)

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The PS pump and the transmission take special fluids. Now the crucial question is, "where did your PS fluid go?" PS fluid consumption is NOT normal! If you are unlucky, the seals in your PS rack may be leaking. If you are lucky, your high-pressure hose or one of its fittings is leaking.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info...

I will start checking for a leak in a hose or loose clamp (fingers crossed). Wasn't there a TSB on a power steering hose?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is also another Pentosin...7.1 I think. Is that one not as good?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Check the lines for seepage. I had a return line that seeped the resevoir dry and replaced under CPO warranty ($250 repair). Then 6 months later, as luck would have it, I had the same line blow near the clamp at the resevoir on the highway and the P/S went entirely by the time I got off the highway. Line replaced under dealer warranty for their own work failing.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So can you elaborate...why is the "regular" bad? Is it only the higher temp rating or will it damage the P/S?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Spooner said:
So can you elaborate...why is the "regular" bad? Is it only the higher temp rating or will it damage the P/S?
Past discussions on the board were that use of anything other then the 11S fluid would damage the seals and result in a leaking rack. I can't remember who, but some unfortunate soul did have that problem after buying a used B5. Guess the previous owner poured in whatever was available at the Autozone/Pep Boys/Napa. Short story...he needed a new rack.

If you look at the Pentosin page - http://www.pentosin.de/eng/products/chf/body_hydraulic.html - you'll see the 11S is the only one approved and meeting the VW standard.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Please entertain a naive question: Has anyone heard of flushing the PS system every few years as preventive maintenance? Might this make the seals last longer? Am I full of sludge?

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
7.1 is bad simply because the rack was designed to use 11S. If you put in the wrong kind, you will dissolve the seals, kill your rack, and turn your fluid a nasty color. No exaggeration. This is not something trivial like putting in 5W-30 when you are out of 5W-40, or topping off with some DOT 3 when you need DOT 4.

SirWired

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

I decided to have a little write up on how to change the loose clamp (if that is what causes your power steering fluid leakage)...

I had a loose hose clamp at the connection between the bottle and the hose. There is a return and feed hose, one thinner and one thicker. The clamp that failed on mine is the thinner hose.

The CHF 11S is made for OEM VW power steering fluid as discussed before. I've notice how expensive the moment i heard the price for one litre as the same as what the stealership would charge for 1/4 the volume!!!

To further assure myself that i got the right stuff, I did the following comparision with my VW branded G002000 fluid...The CHF11S's color, smell and vicosity is exactly the same. Further reading the side of the bottle, i learned that it is the SAME fluid that is used on Rolls-Royce and Bentley cars!!! Anyways, here is what i did...

1. Went to NAPA Auto Parts and got a ONE LITRE Pentosin CHF 11S Power Steering Fluid CDN26/ea and a regular hose clamp CDN0.7/ea

DO NOT GET ANYTHING ELSE!!! as it will ruin your power steer structure.

2. Removed the black cap that covers some wires and the bottle itself. Remove the clamped down wire / heads (they snap out).

3. Remove the wire clamp harness (clips on to the metal hanger unit, find it and don't break this part)...now you have all the space you need to work on the new clamp

4. Cleaned up all the guck and dirt and grime and you get the idea... on the hose surface (cause they caught on the fluid when it is leaking)

5. Yanked off the loose clamp. Do not remove the hose as you will spill the remaining fluids all over.

6. Replace with the new hose clamp and hand tighten it so that the hose won't be able to turn (very important, if the hose can turn, it is not tight enough).

7. Reverse the dissembly steps. You are done!

Short writeup but hope it adds to the info here.

Dckbdckb007

1 - 15 of 15 Posts